• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for Cheap Tablet This Is Easy To Root

gil_happy

Oct 16, 2011
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a cheap (maybe a no-name) tablet that is easy to root and is something I can just have around my home that I will use to stream music to my stereo, use as an alarm clock, etc (mostly just use for media)

It doesn't necessarily need to support the latest Android version (Nougat), but if 2 tablets are similar in price, then I would go with the tablet that supports the newer version.

I've seen many on eBay, but not sure if this is the direction I should go as I don't know anything about them including whether they are easy to root.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately your two requests are somewhat in conflict.
There are plenty of cheap Chinese tablets around, but aside from poor build quality and second-rate performance and features there is little to no support for them both from the manufacturers and developers. Developers generally devote their attention to the most popular name-brand devices so any root exploit that may work (or purport to do so) on the cheap tablets will likely be a shady one that may send your data to servers in China or even brick the device.
If you are in the US, I'd recommend checking out the offerings on Swappa (www.swappa.com). You should be able to pick up a recent name-brand tablet in good used condition for a reasonable price. Swappa verifies their sellers and is a much more reliable marketplace for tablets and phones than Ebay.
You can check out the device-specific forums for any particular tablet you are considering, here and also over at the XDA forums. That should give you an idea of available root options, although I'm not sure why you actually want to root it given your basic proposed uses.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Thank you for the detailed information... I will definitely look at Swappa as per your suggestion. The reason for wanting to root it (besides no ads), is that I want to stream any audio source from the tablet to my home stereo using the AirPlay protocol. The AirAudio app (when on a rooted device), allows you to stream the internal audio source to an AirPlay compatible device.

Upvote 0
I just bought a good cheap tablet but there is no root.

I Don't need root though. Decent specs for the price and has gone way under the radar due to the manufacturer not advertising it (It was a giveaway for AT&T but I got it unlocked).

ZTE Trek 2 HD.

It has 4G LTE and Wifi capabilities.

(No I don't work for ZTE or ATT or any store selling on ebay and this is only a recommendation)

Upvote 0
Thank you for the detailed information... I will definitely look at Swappa as per your suggestion. The reason for wanting to root it (besides no ads), is that I want to stream any audio source from the tablet to my home stereo using the AirPlay protocol. The AirAudio app (when on a rooted device), allows you to stream the internal audio source to an AirPlay compatible device.

FYI, AirPlay compatible streaming apps shouldn't require root. I don't know AirAudio, but I've been casting via AirPlay for a long time now with various devices, projectors, etc. using Happy Cast
http://www.hpplay.com.cn/

Upvote 0
I recently picked up a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 at Walmart for $200. Bought it to use Infinite Painter and Auto Sketch. On a 1-10 scale, for my needs, I'd give it an 8. Great battery life, display, and processor/storage. Only real complaint would be weight (probably due to aforementioned battery life) and the touch screen can sometimes be overly sensitive. Still, I'd highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones