1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking for failsafe daily reminder app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Obruni, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Obruni

Obruni Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    I've always used the built-in calendar on my phone to remind me to take my pill everyday, but recently it's stopped consistently giving me notifications which isn't very useful. I've been looking for a replacement app that's more reliable but I haven't been able to find anything so far.

What I'm looking for is an app that will vibrate and give me a notification at a set time everyday (not an alarm since I have a 12-hour window to take it and want the reminder to stay there until I have, without constantly going off), and won't fail on me. Ideally I'd like to be able to automatically set it to go off everyday for 3 weeks and then have a week off but I've never seen this functionality so I understand if it isn't possible. I don't use my phone calendar otherwise so I don't mind switching to an alternative or having the reminder clogging it up. Does anyone have any recommendations that could help me?

I have a sony ericsson xperia x10 mini, running 2.1

Advertisement

2. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

The stock Android alarm app allow us to set even within 12-hour window correct? In fact I can set different times in a day to make the alarm go off.

3. Obruni

Obruni Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I previously used the alarm to remind me, but when it goes off I only have the options of letting the alarm continue, or turning it off completely leaving no notification etc. What I'm looking for is an app that will give me a notification and just leave it there until I manually get rid of it once I've taken the pill, with just one vibration when it appears.

4. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

Hmmm... well when the alarm rings you can go and take your pill FIRST and then come back to turn off the alarm. It achieve the same objective correct ?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Astrid Tasks. Set it as a recurring reminder, and set how many times it will bug you with a ringing alarm. And it will stay on your notification bar until you mark the task done. Not even "clearing" the notification bar will remove it.

Obruni likes this.
  6. Obruni

Obruni Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Sohguanh, I'd prefer not to have an alarm going off for up to 12 hours. It gets slightly tiring if I'm out and can't take it for a few hours after the initial reminder :p

Chanchan05, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks :)

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    To Do Task manager. You can customize when the alarm guess off (at the time it's due, out X minutes/hours ahead), reminder alarms that follow up, how often the task recurs, etc. It has both a lite/free and pro version (which I use and love).

8. Displacedmic

Displacedmic Member
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Another vote for Astrid. I love it, it's reliable and does exactly what you are describing. You should also create a free account on producteev.com. Using that service you can sync up all your calendars with astrid effortlessly. What more you can email yourself tasks that will go straight to your to-do list (and all your calendars).

Astrid will pop up in your notification bar and vibrate and or play any ringtone you want. it doesn't go away until you click done, edit it or hit snooze. it will also periodically remind you. I use it for both hard dates and deadlines (meeting at noon on thursday) general tasks that have to be completed on a particular day (mail tax cheque) or something that needs to be done but has no deadline (fix that step that creaks)

What I love about producteev is you can email tasks as i said - i find this easier than manually creating one.

example, tomorrow i am playing tennis with my brother in law at noon

so i email the following:

to: task@producteev.com
    subject: tennis with andrew tomorrow noon

that's it. i can add text in the body of the email which will show up as notes, but just emailing that subject line creates the task "tennis with Andrew" for Sunday at noon. I have my reminders set to pop up 15 minutes before they're due and I also have them sync'd to my various calendars. not to mention Astrid has a great set of widgets.

In addition to Astrid (which syncs through producteev with my google calendar and iCal) I also use the Pure Calendar Widget and the Pure Agenda Widget. the former being a really nice calendar and the latter being a great widget that just lists the things that need to be done in chronological order. Both cost a few bucks on the market.

A really nice free cal app i've just discovered is Jorte. Beautiful and feature-rich app with almost no learning curve.

All in all I think my set up is perfect - at least for me. ymmv. hope this helped, let me know if you have questions.
    good luck!

9. Obruni

Obruni Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    I've gone with Astrid and it seems to be perfect so far. Thanks everyone for all your help :)