• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Looking for File Explorer/Manger recommendations

SavageRobot

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
So I have been an avid user of ES File Explorer for many many years but I have had enough of it now. The last few months or more it have been getting to bloated with unnecessary junk, over simplified & spamming notifications. Which is a shame because I always found it the most useful and easy to use. I can't remember what explorer I used to use before that so looking for recommendations. It needs to have root explorer options and ideally easy to switch between sd / extsd / root etc and preferably a download manager too.

You should try Solid Explorer. It's very customizable - colors, icons and such - but also offers a lot of built in features like ES but in a much nicer package. I downloaded the trial and then shortly thereafter bought it because I thought that it was very good. When ES started filling up with bloat, spam and even a lock screen ad it was big news in a bad way; made the electronic magazines even. Many folks defected and went to other file explorers, several were migrating over to Solid Explorer. But check it out Solid Explorer, you shouldn't be sorry!!!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My choice is Root Explorer. I've tried Xplore, and while it is very nice, it is too "busy" for me....I get a little confused trying to navigate it, so I've stuck with Root Explorer.

Haven't tried Solid Explorer mentioned by a couple folks here.....maybe I'll give that a whirl :D
I've never found a need to go beyond Root Explorer myself. It does what I need, even without root. I like the way it seemlessly adds in gDrive and Drop Box.

Upvote 0
My choice is Root Explorer. I've tried Xplore, and while it is very nice, it is too "busy" for me....I get a little confused trying to navigate it, so I've stuck with Root Explorer.

Haven't tried Solid Explorer mentioned by a couple folks here.....maybe I'll give that a whirl :D

I'm not toot-ed. Like everyone else I was an avid ES Pro user. I gave up on it years ago.

My gift to you ... give Solid a try for a week. You are really going to like it.

... Thom

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones