• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for fm radio alternatives to the pre-installed one.

Not as easy to find as you might hope since many radio apps include "FM" in their name despite actually using streaming radio, like "Last.FM" it seems to be used as a synonym for "Radio" - also, there are a lot of apps from/for specific radio stations that are FM broadcasters but the app is streaming...

I've not tried any radio apps other than the pre-installed one, but I found these in the play store...

FM Radio
Sprint FM (this one looks expensive but they offer a 'lite' version, but it's still not a free app
FM TwoO Has a lot of negative reviews but it looks like they have incompatible phones or ICS which fails to run the stock app any way, or they don't realise it is for actual FM signals. There are two reviews from SGP users and they say it is excellent and can't understand the bad reviews.

There's probably others and maybe someone here can recommend one (but as nearly three weeks have passed since you asked, that may not happen :eek: )

One thing to bear in mind, in case you aren't aware, you will always need to have headphones plugged in as the wire is used as the aerial (you should have the option to use the on-board speakers but the headphones still need to be plugged in)

Upvote 0
SGP5 has a pretty good FM section. We have one oldies station w/ less commercials that I like. The stock tuner works great on this 5.0. What is it missing?
I wish I could just use it like an old 60's transistor radio.

I do not want an online stations one since wifi is required to use an online one. So I am looking for one like the pre-installed one which uses no wifi, and gets the local radio stations. So any alternatives of that criteria.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones