• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for good Android PMP/Wifi only

Yeah, i'm one of those guys. (Hi, btw.)

I'm looking for a good PMP with Wifi and really don't want a data plan.

Originally had looked at the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2, but really the specs seem lame for the price.

Any ideas for around $200? Initially I thought the search would be easy as there is a ton of Android Phones out there, but most of them seem to require contracts.

I found a "no contract" Evo 3D for my price but am wondering, is there a way to use wifi only, or does it need activation of some kind (sprint's pretty picky, aren't they?)

If the Evo 3D doesn't work, do you all have recommendations?

Some things I'm looking for:
*Dual Core (ICS Capable)
*Good Sound Quality
*4"+ Screen (pocket size)
*SD slot

Will the 3D work as wifi only/no activation or do i need to look elsewhere?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but my Google-Fu is weak at 0415.

Thanks.

You can use it without activating it.
I was looking into the same thing for my parents a while back. Sprint S2's/Epic 4g Touch's can be had for under 200 somewhat often. I love my T Mobile version, though have never messed around with a CDMA one. 4.5" screen, ICS,... Hell, if you look around and wait you can find this one for 200-250.

Upvote 0
You can use it without activating it.
I was looking into the same thing for my parents a while back. Sprint S2's/Epic 4g Touch's can be had for under 200 somewhat often. I love my T Mobile version, though have never messed around with a CDMA one. 4.5" screen, ICS,... Hell, if you look around and wait you can find this one for 200-250.

I have to root it first, correct?
I am looking to basically disable any phone (data/service provider) functionality to it to use as a mini tablet/PMP.

this thread confused me.

i know some phones require contract/activation, but this one does not?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones