1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking for good offline gps app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Luna_Deafenhine, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Luna_Deafenhine

Hi everybody, I will be taking a trip to the Appalachian mountains in a about a week or two. I get little to no data signal in that area so Google Maps & Waze (these are my go to gps apps) will be useless for me. So I'm looking for a (preferably free) gps app that'll work offline and let me download maps and use them to get to and from my destination. Any suggestion is welcomed and appreciated. :)

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

amarie82, JAy3001 and Unforgiven like this.
  3. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Hi, you could also try :-
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmagic.magicearth

It's a free app and all maps are free to download. I find it easier than Google Maps, even in the UK, to download the appropriate area in which you intend to travel. With Google Maps you have to estimate the various map areas you need by zooming in and out till you're happy, then download them. For the US, Magic Earth has individual maps for each state which you might find easier to match up to your travel routes.

An added advantage is you can use Magic Earth to navigate walking/hiking routes which isn't possible with Google Maps without a data connection.

I also find it much easier to use the History and Favourites functions with Magic Earth.

It's certainly worth having a look and compare it to Google Maps yourself.

amarie82 likes this.
  4. amarie82

amarie82 Android Expert

I use Google maps offline when I travel and it works wonders!

Mikestony likes this.
  5. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

Try using the Google Maps offline feature. It only works on driving mode and of course you won't get any traffic updates, but I use it every day and it works great. I feel maps works better offline than online. You will want to update them every once in a while otherwise you might get outdated navigation info(they should update every 30 days when connected to WiFi). The link above should help or you can just search "how to download offline maps in google maps."

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I'm a big fan of CoPilot for about $5-10 depending on the sale of the day and what map pack you get. I got all of North America (US, Canada, Mexico) for $9.99 a few years ago. I like that it doesn't use data except for traffic info, and that is minimal. When I don't care about traffic info I use it on an old phone with no sim.