1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

looking for honest opinion on 4.3" screen

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by buckeyedroid, Apr 15, 2011.

1. buckeyedroid

buckeyedroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    columbus,oh.
    as the title states, i am looking for some honest opinions on these
    large screen cell phones(such as the evo and alot of the new phones coming out). i am not looking for "fan boy" bull crap, or anything like that.
    of course watching videos/playing games/ has got to be better, just like a 6"
    screen is better than a 4.3" screen and so on. My question is how much of a hassle is it to carry it around with you 24/7 and use it as a phone/texting device. i know some will say, "oh, i just throw it in my skinny jeans pocket
    and i don't even know it is there", well, i just don't believe that. i want to
    hear from someone what it is really like to carry one of these around.
    and i am not talking about in a "mens european carry all"(man purse), or
    in a messanger bag or back pack. i guess i feel like it must be kind of a pain
    being a person on the go, and having to tote this thing around, now if you
    sit at home all day on the couch, i can see where it would not bother you.
    so in summation, just looking for some real thoughts about the "big" phones and
    your experience with carrying them around and if it is a pain, thanks.

Advertisement

2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    I do some stuff and get paid for it...that's all t
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    The size for me isn't really an issue. I wear cargo or painters pants mostly. It fits in the pocket fine. The weight however does seem to tug on that side sometimes. It's not a huge thing. Just enough for me to notice it's there.

Overall I don't regret getting the bigger phone. It's amazing to pull out my old Hero and look at it now after having had the EVO nearly a year. Soooo small and tiny!

buckeyedroid likes this.
  3. TattooMan

TattooMan Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Commercial Driver / Dispatcher / Management
    Near Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Unfortunately, with larger screens you run the risk of more weight. That, and the likelihood of a larger screen more apt to crack. Don't get me wrong, I love the larger screens for all the same reasons everyone else does. I just prefer something a little more resist to cracking. UNless of course, you are fortunate enough to get a phone with Gorilla Glass.

buckeyedroid likes this.
  4. qwer

qwer Member
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Go to a store and try it yourself. Nobody else can tell you if you'd prefer a bigger or a smaller screen.

5. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    My DHD has a 4.3 screen. I carry it in my shirt pocket no problem.

It's a bit on the big side for one-handed use though. If I'd had the choice between the DHD and the HTC Incredible S (has 4 inch screen) I would have gone for the IncS for being better able to support one-handed use.

The DHD is a great device though and I'm very happy with it.

Pochi_X and buckeyedroid like this.
  6. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    I carry my EVO in my front jeans pocket just fine. Browsing on a 4.3 screen is a joy for me. I like a little weight to phones. I can operate the phone with one hand just fine but that will be different for each individual. Only way to truly find out if a 4.3 screen is good for you is to go and try it out for yourself.

KENNECTED and buckeyedroid like this.
  7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I own the Evo. I keep it in my left pant pocket. The bulk is less than the wallet and keys in my right pocket. Therefore, for me, the size is a non-issue.

Allow me to compare it to an iPhone for example. My wife has the iPhone 3G. It is a smaller phone, but just by a little bit. But the screen on her phone is WAY smaller. The Evo's screen is just smarter about using the available real estate. So for me, the question should be about the phone size, not the screen size. iPhones can support a 4" screen given its size, and rumor has it, the iPhone 5 will come with a 4" screen without increasing the size of the phone.

When my wife got her iPhone back in 2008, I tried it and really hated it. Sure, the touchscreen was a cool concept, but on such a small screen, I was constantly fat-fingering when trying to type. Very frustrating. Turned me off to the idea of a touchscreen on a phone. The Evo completely changed my mind. The larger screen was perfect for me. Also makes the screen more readable.

So in my opinion, 4" - 4.3" is the ideal size for a touchscreen phone. I'm not a big person either... 5'8" small frame, around 150lb.

buckeyedroid likes this.
  8. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Otterbox Commuter case + Leather holster + 4.3 inch screen = Solution.

Anyways, I'm 6'4 and have man sized pockets and man sized hands so a 4.3 inch device for me is like a 3.5 - 3.7 for the average person. It feels normal to me.

Pochi_X and buckeyedroid like this.
  9. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    I can only speak for the Droid X, but it's incredibly thin so it actually cuts down on a lot of the space used by phones with smaller screens. Furthermore, I've never had any problem carrying it around in my pocket-- the size just isn't that noticeable to me. And having that extra screen is AMAZING... besides watching videos, it just feels so roomy and luxurious, like upgrading a plane ticket from coach to first class. I use friends' smaller phones and it feels really cramped and annoying, particularly when I'm scrolling through web pages. And they all comment on how they like my phone's bigger screen.

I will say that I got a gel-case for my droid x and have noticed a little bit of an annoyance with it "sticking" slightly when I shove it into my stuffed pockets. I don't know if this is due partially to the size, but I can only imagine that a smaller phone with a gel case would have the same problem. At any rate, it's not THAT annoying.

Again, speaking for the Droid X-- it has gorilla glass, so absolutely no problems with the screen, plus you can get screen protectors for very cheap. And as I mentioned, it's very, very thin so it's incredibly lightweight.

buckeyedroid likes this.
  10. J_Droid23

J_Droid23 Member
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Radio
    I have the Inspire 4G and I usually keep it in my jean pocket. I can notice it's there, but it's not a huge issue and it fits fine. I love the screen this size, because now I can actually browse Youtube for hours on end with no issues or having to strain my eyes. To me it's pleasant. 4.3 seems like the perfect size for me. Like everybody else is saying though, you should goto a store and demo the phone for yourself to be sure.

buckeyedroid likes this.
  11. AmneonX

AmneonX Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    http://www.androidwaypoint.com
    Michigan
    Like everyone else, I love my 4.3 inch screen. It rides in my front left pocket. I try typing on other phones, the of droid and the dinc and it doesn't feel natural to me. Everything feels great with my Droid X. That's my 2

12. nkk

nkk Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    I think my 4.3inch screen is too big. Not by much, and I still love it, but I think 4 may be the sweet spot (I went from 3.7 on the incredible to 4.3 on the thunderbolt).

Typing is much easier with the extra real estate. I wear slacks and it fits fine in my pockets. Sometimes I do not know it is there, but I am usually distracted (i.e. it is not so big as to call your attention to it constantly, but it usually does not just disappear).

-Nkk

13. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    I would rather have an even slightly bigger screen.... say 4.5". I would never entertain the thought of anything smaller than 4.3" that I have on my X. I had the Inc, and the screen was just too small. I do have thick fingers so fat fingering was a problem. As far as too big to carry around - not in the slightest.

14. Evo 5oh

Evo 5oh Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    I always wanted the evo before it came out it look like a simple phone on the flyer....
    After months of its release I saw it in someones hands and it was the biggest phone I ever seen..months later I got the Evo and i was used to it...Its a small screen in my opinion now....I put it in my pocket like nothing...no problem i do forget that is there...you always get used to new things...

15. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I am 6' 3" and the first time I picked up my evo it felt like it was made for me. I can completely relate to shawn1224 in that a 4.3" phone feels like what a 3.7" must feel like to others. Drops into my pocket easily and is just as easily retrieved. Anything bigger and I might have difficulty accurately swyping one-handed, but as it is, i will never go with a smaller screen again if I can help it..

16. eldealero

eldealero Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    DroidX user here. I carry mine in either shirt or pant pocket all day long at work and check it often; no problems at all for me. In fact, I don't think I will ever want to go any smaller in the future now that I am used to this. My wife has an incredible, and I don't like using it just because of the small screen.

17. dylando808

dylando808 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    Hawaii, USA
    let me get a whack at this thread :)

i got an Inspire "4G" or Desire HD for those in Europe.
    the 4.3 inch screen suits this phone perfectly for a media device.
    and the way the way it's built makes it a pretty solid, and heavy device.
    when i first got it it was kind of intimidating because i had a palm pre plus previously, and it just downright dwarfed the Pre. the Pre had a 3.2 inch screen lol

as for pocket fit i don't usually have trouble fitting it in. i usually wear loose fitting shorts and it fits in perfectly. and the weight of the Inspire lets me know it's there. like others said you can feel it tugging on the side of your pants.
    BUT on some occasion i wear skinny-ish jeans and the inspire can't really fit in the front pocket but fits fine in the back pocket so it isn't a big deal to me.

18. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Male
    Retired Nurse
    Brighton. UK
    When i wanted to get an Android phone I dismissed the the HTC Desire HD because of the screen size. However in the end in won me over and i could not imagine going back to a smaller screen. For all the stuff you can do the screen is the perfect size. i also like to watch movie s on long budget airline flights so its great for that. I am a biker and wear tight leather jackets (try not to get excited readers). I keep the Desire in an HTC pouch case and it fits into pockets with no problem at all, go for it.

19. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    I have the Evo 4G and I like the larger screen. I always found typing on a 3.5 or smaller screen to be difficult, the 4.3 screen solves this for me. My only issue, and it's a small issue, is the added weight of a larger phone but I'm willing to live with it for the larger screen.