• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for messaging app

mbrowne999

Lurker
Apr 24, 2017
Is there a messaging app out there that will let me send an sms as new and separate and not add it to an existing "conversation?" It seems really odd not to be able to hit "new" or something and get a new conversation going. I've reviewed a few options, and none of them mention that feature so thought I'd ask here. Thanks.

I've never met an app that doesn't allow you to just send a new message without entering a conversation.

However, if you send it to a contact that you have previously sent messages to it will be added to that "conversation", even if you just hit the "new message" button and then added them as the recipient. That's because "conversation" is a not wholly accurate name for the grouping - it really just means "messages exchanged with this person" rather than "a particular discussion", as the word means in normal English.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
... if you send it to a contact that you have previously sent messages to it will be added to that "conversation", even if you just hit the "new message" button and then added them as the recipient.

That's what I'd like an alternative to. I want the option to start a new conversation with that person and not have the app read in an old conversation. I've since DLed Textra and haven't found how to do that.

Upvote 0
Textra SMS and chompSMS (it's big brother) associate a conversation with a phone number. There is one conversation with each phone number. If you attempt to start a new conversation to a number that already has a conversation it is merged.

I think that some of the previous response here were assuming you wanted to create a new conversation to a new number.

... Thom

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Because that's not what "conversation" means in messaging apps. As I said above, it is IMO a misleading name.

I don't know of any app that does what you want. The thing is, the "conversation" isn't really a distinct entity in the message database, rather it's just how the app groups and displays messages. Almost all group them according to the recipients (which is what's called a "conversation"), a few used to allow you to group them into an "inbox" and "outbox" (so no sorting by recipients, just messages received and messages sent). I suspect that to do what you want you'd need an additional field in the message database to indicate that this particular group of messages were to be shown separate from other messages with the same person. With email the "subject" line serves this purpose, but most SMS don't have a "subject". Some SMS clients do offer that though (my phone's built-in app and Chomp both have an "add subject" option in the compose dialogue if you press the 3-dot button), so I suppose you could try adding that and seeing whether an SMS with a subject changes the way it's grouped? Since that is an additional field in the message database it would be possible to write a message client that used it to separate particular threads, but whether anyone has done so I don't know.

Reactions: Dannydet and Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones