1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support looking for paid upgrade help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jp_chgo, Jan 12, 2014.

1. jp_chgo

jp_chgo Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    I'm looking for someone to upgrade my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile prepaid to KitKat.

OTA upgrade fails. Phone has original OS and is not modified in any way other than installing common apps.

Any services to recommend?

Advertisement

2. KJohns

KJohns ROM/Application Developer
    None

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    student/intern
    Illinois - U.S.
    jp_chgo and D-U-R-X like this.
  3. jp_chgo

jp_chgo Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    Thanks very much for the help. The page at the "How to flash a factory image" link says "Also, beware, this procedure will wipe your device completely" .

I was hoping to upgrade without wiping the phone completely. If there is a place to find someone to hire to do an upgrade that you know of, that would be great. Thanks.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You are really better off flashing it yourself.

First, even if you do find someone to flash it for you, paid or otherwise, if the OTA is really failing, then they will have to use the same method and wipe your phone. The reason your phone will be erased is that in order to manually flash firmware the bootloader must be unlocked. That's the step that erases all user data and files. It's a security measure to prevent locked phones from being hacked.

Second, as far as I'm concerned after any major update to the operating system the phone should be reset. Too much stuff ends up hanging around causing problems.

Finally, it gives you a better understanding of how the device works.

If you want to "cheat" you can use Tug's or Skipsoft's Nexus toolkit to automate much of the procedure.

OcalaFlGuy, jp_chgo and D-U-R-X like this.
  5. OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy Android Expert
    None

I already knew what was said but that is a very nicely done response Lune.

I can appreciate clear, succinct, correct answers.

That was a good un.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

lunatic59 likes this.
  6. jp_chgo

jp_chgo Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    Thanks for the advice. I will go the flash route. Still, that is more than I can do on my own and I would like to hire someone who knows what they are doing.

If there is a place to hire someone to do the simple upgrade, it would be very useful to me.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I'll take it from your user name that you are in the greater Chicago area. Most phone stores in the U.S. sell phones under contract to carriers and are not going to flash anything for you as it is a violation of the TOS. Same for the big box stores and electronics chains. Your best bet is to find a mom and pop computer store that has some experience with phones or tablets and see what they might charge.

jp_chgo likes this.
  8. jp_chgo

jp_chgo Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    I was hoping to find an service on line where i could hire someone could walk me through the upgrade. If there are any marketplaces or companies that offer such services, that's what I'm looking for.

(for example, now I'm stick at adb with "devices not found" even though USB debugging is turned on. Each step is taking me hours. I would like to pay someone rather than spend many hours and possibly ending up with a non-working phone.)

9. pauljr4205

pauljr4205 Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    I had a the same problem with adb and wugs toolkit. I had to switch USB connection from camera to storage or video. I'm not positive and its been a while but it should show up in the pull down menu when USB connected. After the change try the adb devices command again.

10. pauljr4205

pauljr4205 Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    If you do get adb to recognize your device, I can say from experience that the fastboot script did not work for me and I had to flash the individual files manually. Instrucions: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/24/how-to-flash-your-nexus-4-to-android-4-3-jwr66v-and-root-it-right-now/
    Scenario 2
    Afterwards I cleared the cache again in from the bootloader on the phone not adb. It may not be necessary but you want it to start right the first time.

11. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK
    You could try the google helpouts, to see if there's anyone who can help you out. Its their new(ish) service where you talk via webcam

https://helpouts.google.com/home

Tags: