• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for Portable Bluetooth Keyboards

Hi all,

Recently I purchased a Samsung Galaxy SII and I really like it.

However, I have started to write more freelance and that means the need for a proper keyboard. I need a proper portable keyboard.

However, I have looked online and which bluetooth keyboards are compatible with Android are not mentioned. There is also the buyer beware mentioned that not all bluetooth keyboards are compatible with Android's bluetooth drivers.

In addition, I would like one which is compact and foldable. Any suggestions for makes and models I can research?

Thanks,

-Chrysalis

If you can still score an THink Outside iGo stowaway keyboard, I fully recommend it. I have the apple bluetooth(too big to travel), the Freedom keyboard(broke within a month, very flimsy and cheap), and I currently still use my father's 9 years old iGo keyboard he purchased for his old school palm pilots. Believe or not, the iGo is truly state of the art design, built like a tank. Too bad they are a thing of the past, they come highly recommended by everyone who got a piece of the action.

Amazon.com: iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard for PDAs and Handhelds: Electronics

Upvote 0
If you can still score an THink Outside iGo stowaway keyboard, I fully recommend it. I have the apple bluetooth(too big to travel), the Freedom keyboard(broke within a month, very flimsy and cheap), and I currently still use my father's 9 years old iGo keyboard he purchased for his old school palm pilots. Believe or not, the iGo is truly state of the art design, built like a tank. Too bad they are a thing of the past, they come highly recommended by everyone who got a piece of the action.

Amazon.com: iGo Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard for PDAs and Handhelds: Electronics

They do look pretty good.. BUT you really need a mouse to make it all work nicely.. I've tried to find a trackerball type mouse as I'm not always somewhere I can use a mouse but have failed...

Upvote 0
They do look pretty good.. BUT you really need a mouse to make it all work nicely.. I've tried to find a trackerball type mouse as I'm not always somewhere I can use a mouse but have failed...

I will try it with a bluetooth mouse soon. I switched from a blackberry, so this SGS2 literally blew a hole in my head in terms of satisfaction. I can't believe how good the S2/Android is.... so happy I can cry.

Upvote 0
I have used a few bluetooth keyboards and tried several with my SGS2 - they all worked.

I have a Freedom bluetooth keyboard but I don't like it much - I don't like the feel of the keys and it doesn't lie flat properly. I also have a miMicro keyboard. These used to be branded Pocketop. This is tiny and I like the feel of the keys but it isn't a complete keyboard and I do find myself doing a finger version of Twister sometimes if I have to enter numbers or punctuation.

At the other end of the scale, the Apple bluetooth keyboard is absolutely excellent, works with the SGS2 and isn't that expensive. It doesn't fold but if you carry a bag, it's not big and critically, can be rested on your lap, unlike almost all other portable keyboards. Even the ones that lock (such as the Freedom) have such poor quality locking mechanisms that you would break them if you didn't rest them on a flat surface.

I don't think you will have any trouble finding one that will work, but the balance between usability and portability is a hard one to strike so I would strongly recommend that you try a few out before putting your hand in your pocket. Having said that, if size isn't that much of an issue (ie it doesn't have to fit in a pocket) go for the Apple Wireless keyboard - it's much better quality than anything else that is practical to carry around.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones