1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking for solution to: complete overlay of realtime map on video clip

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by EightBall, Sep 30, 2014.

1. EightBall

EightBall Lurker

Hi All!

I am not a developer or a programmer, but am looking for a solution and developers.

For an app being developed, we have the need to superimpose a map on a video (details below). I am not sure if there is a solution to this problem, nor am I sure what the keywords I should use while trawling the net. Sounds like augmented reality. Sadly, I am not sure where (as in which discussion forum) I should be posting this, nor what technical words I should be using to describe the problem :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on what skill sets I should be looking for in developers, and how to describe this problem would also be appreciated.

Background: A walker (lets call her Sarah) goes on a walking path from and to her house. The path is 1 hour/4 km/2.5 miles long.

She records (with her mobile phone or some other device) the walk. She gives this video clip to her friend (lets call her Madison). The video clip has just the video from her camera, along with GPS data that the camera automatically inserts.

Madison is new to the area, and so is not familiar with all the trails in the city. She uses the video to retrace Sarah's walk. Madison gets to the starting point of the path. She plays the video clip on her phone and starts the walk. To help her, she uses a map app (which uses OpenStreetMap OSM data), the map displaying real-time GPS data on it as she walks.

The problem:

I want Madison's phone to display the OSM map with live GPS. There are numerous apps to do this. I will choose one of them later, but the app will display a slippy map with pinch to zoom and all the other standard stuff. The unresolved part is:

Below this map should appear Sarah's video clip. This should be a complete overlay- not split windows or split screens. The map will be slightly transparent so that the video below can be seen. The map should remain interactable to Madison. She should be able to zoom in/out and slip the map.

The questions: Is it possible to do this in Android? Am I defining the problem correctly? Where should I be looking for a solution? What kind of developers do I need if such a product is not already available (we usually hire on Elance)?

Thanks!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download