• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Looking for some apps !!!

Schoot

Lurker
Dec 5, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new on the android, but been messing around with it for a few days now. I just bought me a garmin asus nuvifone a10 and i'm currently running on 2.1.

The coolest things about android : if something about your phone, your interface, or whatever bothers you ... you just fix it with an app ... Now there are two things which have been bothering me about my phone which I just don't seem to find a solution for. I'm hoping you guys can direct me to some app or so which can solve them :

- First, I'm getting sick of unlocking my phone twice ... First I have to press the power button of my phone, located at the above part of my phone. And then I still have to swipe the bar. The second things isn't bothering me alot, but I'm getting quite concerned about the power button ... I know for sure it's not made to be pressed more than 500 times a day ... Since I want to keep on using my phone for a long time, I don't wanna strain it too hard. Is there an app which can make sure the screen never dies down entirely ? Like go into some 0% clarity mode instead and allow me to reactivate it, or even swipe immediately without having to press the unlock button of my phone first ?

- Second , it seems that normal 2.1 phones have the option to switch their regular keyboard for a built-in 3x4 keyboard (like with the old phones). I'd like to switch to this keyboard too, but for some reason, my phone does not have this function ( and yes I checked well). I've been downloading dozens of apps to alter keyboard appearance, but all I actually want is the 3x4 keyboard back. Is there a simple app which can do this ?

Thanks, this would help me alot !

- First, I'm getting sick of unlocking my phone twice ... First I have to press the power button of my phone, located at the above part of my phone. And then I still have to swipe the bar. The second things isn't bothering me alot, but I'm getting quite concerned about the power button ... I know for sure it's not made to be pressed more than 500 times a day ... Since I want to keep on using my phone for a long time, I don't wanna strain it too hard. Is there an app which can make sure the screen never dies down entirely ?

There are apps to disable the swipe down lock screen (No Lock). There are also ways to eliminate the screen timeout. I don't think you don't want to do that though. Your battery life will be horrible.

See this thread: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/230901-stay-app.html

- Second , it seems that normal 2.1 phones have the option to switch their regular keyboard for a built-in 3x4 keyboard (like with the old phones). I'd like to switch to this keyboard too, but for some reason, my phone does not have this function ( and yes I checked well). I've been downloading dozens of apps to alter keyboard appearance, but all I actually want is the 3x4 keyboard back. Is there a simple app which can do this ?

I use TouchPal Chinese Input, because it allows both English and Chinese input easily. It has the different keyboards that I think you are talking about, and an easy way to switch. You can just ignore the Chinese part and it will work fine for English input.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your second recommendation. The chinese app indeed has the 3x4 keyboard. Typing just got a whole lot easier :) .

I'm still looking for some solution for my first problem. In Widgetlocker there is a function which says : Use any hardware button to unlock. Would this mean also my volume buttons on the side of the phone would serve as my screen unlock button ? I tested it and it's not working, but I'm wondering if there might be an app which can do this ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones