1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Looking for someone to help me update...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fletchguy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Fletchguy

Fletchguy Newbie
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    First let me send out a thank you to all the helpful people here on the forum. That said I am looking for someone to helpwalk me through doing some updates to my rooted evo 4G. I am still a noob at the whole rom and updating and backing up to work around non OTA updates so i apologize and just was wondering if I could find someone to have a bit of patience and teach me as we go through some things.

That disclaimer out front here is what I have. I have the htc evo 4G. I had help originally getting the froyo 2.2 for root on the phone when it first came out so I know I am rooted with a non OTA 2.2 froyo on board. I like the stock HTC sense set up so want to stay as close to that as I can. I havent updated anything since I rooted last year but get the OTA notifications alot. I would like to update the phone to firmware 3.29.x.x.x or whatever is the newest as Im still locked down on the old fps and such fixes since day one froyo. I also would like to update to evo gingerbread with root.

As I said Im new on this I understand the terms but not so much changing and installing. I have busybox and superuser on the phone.I have Astro File Manager free installed and I just added Titanium Backup for root free version to the phone. I think these are what will be needed if not let me know what else I need. I have the sd card in with space but have never done a backup. most of my apps are on the sd card except those that App2Sd can't move. I will need a walk through on how to save the stuff thats on the phone that will be lost during the process..

Again i appreciate anyone who can get me updated and willing to help teach a newer android guy and hopefully Ill be able to sometime help someone else out. Heres the basics of my phone again for reference...

HTC Evo 4G
    Rooted
    Froyo 2.2
    Baseband version 2.15.00.07.28
    kernel 2.6.32.15-g746f4f0
    build number 3.26.651.6 CL218634 release keys
    software number 3.26.651.6
    browser version webkit 3.1
    pri version 1.40_003
    prl version 60667

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    ok so first off please read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide. it has a section for after rooting that has great info to help you get updated.

so after reading it you will need titanium backup to backup your apps and its data. also make sure that your contacts are saved under google and not to phone.

ok so you will need two files to do this. get the 4.24 update rom here: [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers and download and transfer to the sd card the odexed version. next go here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service and download the vr superwipe(more on this later)
    1.transfer the file over to your sd card via usb
    2.go into recovery (power off then press and hold power+vol down)
    3.make a nandroid backup
    4.wipe dalvik cache, cache and data (if you still on a stock rom then you do not need to wipe data. also titanium backup is not need then. i put this step in just in case you want to flash a different rom)
    5.select "install .zip from sd card" and select the vr superwipe file(this just wipes 3x to ensure that you have a clean environment for the rom to install into).
    6.select "install .zip from sd card" select the update rom
    7.it should flash it and then select reboot

now the first boot for any rom will take a bit longer then normal as it has to build up dalvik cache.

now you are updated with current software. now if you want to upgrade your radios go here:[ Radios ][ 6-3 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers and use the first link for the radio combo. just keep in mind that you could loose your wimax keys so please read this:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...before-you-flash-your-radios-read-thread.html. so you just flash the radio combo like you would a rom.

hope that helps. any questions you know what to do.

edit: those steps you can follow if you decide to flash any rom. you can get most of the roms on the roms/kernel sticky.

3. Fletchguy

Fletchguy Newbie
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Thanks for the reply and help. I just got this email yesterday from htc evo team so maybe I should wait a little bit til this gets processed for upgrade to me as a root user? What ya think or should I update to the files you gave first? Quick question how do I nandroid backup???

HTC Evo Maintenance Release - 4.24.651.1 Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Enhancements/Fixes:

- SMS are intermittently sent to wrong and seemingly random contact
    - "Me" instead of "Yo" in SMS thread conversations when set to Spanish
    - Unable to stream media thru some applications after updating to 3.70
    - Email attachments are not displayed in the mail client
    - Multiple Gmail accounts no longer sync after FroYo update
    - Fix for battery discharge issue

- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

- Downloads management- The Downloads application gives the user easy access
    to any file downloaded from the browser, email,or another application
    - Corrects voicemail notification issue (from 4.22.651.2)
    - Corrects issue with hearing aid compatibility menu disappearing (from 4.22.651.2)
    - Netflix compatibility (from 4.22.651.2)

Important Notes:

- The new software version is: 4.24.651.1
    - This update should be applied to devices on 4.22.651.2 (Android 2.3 update) and 3.70.651.1 (Froyo)
    Devices on 4.22.651.2 will receive the following message when this update is available

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    ok so the file i gave you is the same exact thing that is mentioned by htc/sprint. you can just flash that file and you will have 4.24 installed on your phone but rooted. if you accept that then you will most likely loose root and will not be able to re-root.

in order to make a nandroid backup you need to be in recovery.
    1.power off then
    2.press and hold power+vol down
    3.select recovery
    4.select "backup and restore"
    5.select backup
    clockwork mod will now make a backup (nandroid backup) and if you want to go back to it just select restore and find the date of your backup.

5. Fletchguy

Fletchguy Newbie
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Thanks for the fast reply.Ill give this a shot and see how it goes keep my fingers crossed first time doing anything to rom since installing the rooted 2.2 via online remote session lol. thanks for the nandroid lesson.I appreciate your time and help and if something goes wrong hope you ll be round to tell me what i did wrong lol thanks again ill report back good or bad.

Tags: