• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for the "case of my life" for my G6 (clear/thin)

EZG

Mar 13, 2018
Hey guys.
First, sorry if my english isnt perfect as it's not my main language.

I recently bought a LG G6, Ice Platinum color, and I dont want the back glass to get scratches over time as it's insanely gorgeous.
So I guess it's time to buy a case, but I've never been a "case guy", I hate that. Thats why I need some help to find the perfect case for me.

The top 1 priority is having a clear/transparent case. And not those "fake clear" with hundreds of little dots all over the back, it looks so ugly.
And as second priority, I'd like to have a very very thin case, flexible or solid, I don't realy care, I want it to be very thin.
I wanted to buy the "Spigen Crystal Clear" case, but it has those little dots on the back... Which is sad it's a deal breaker for me.

If you guys have any tips that would be cool.
No offense but if you just want to come here to say "Hey thin cases dont protect your phone enough blablabla", that's not what I'm looking for, i'm well aware of the downside of having a very thin case.
Thanks for reading me, waiting for answers ! Have a good day !

EDIT: Fully clear tempered glass cover for the back would be the dream... I've only found ArmorSuit & PhantomSkins but I don't know what it's worth, and it's kinda expensive (+shipping to Europe). Anyone tried it yet ? It looks sexy

Last edited:
The"little dots" are to avoid another effect: rainbow patterns you can get where the case sticks closer to the phone in some places than others. Just so you know to look out for that in reviews.

The other thing to know is that clear soft cases turn yellow with time (and eventually brown).

I don't know cases for this phone, just thought that if you don't have experience you might not be aware of these things. And it gives your post a bump, which may make it more visible to someone who can make a suggestion ;)

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Thanks for the informations. I was already aware of the "yellowing" (is that even a word lol), that's why I plan to buy several different cases, so I can replace when the first becomes yellow, and it gives me the chance to try different brands and compare.
About the little dots things, I wasn't aware of that, that's actually smart, but, I've seen reviews of cases with no dots, and without this rainbow effect. I browsed like 20+ pages on Amazon for clear cases, and some brand even state "little dots for better cooling", I was like wtf lol. Your explanation about the dots is way better.

Upvote 0
The"little dots" are to avoid another effect: rainbow patterns you can get where the case sticks closer to the phone in some places than others. Just so you know to look out for that in reviews.

The other thing to know is that clear soft cases turn yellow with time (and eventually brown).

They can go really dark brown, almost black, and may stink rather badly as well.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Actuality I like cases with some panache.
You might want to consider an Incipio Esquire series case.
I don't think the case you want exists.

The top 1 priority is having a clear/transparent case

They can go really dark brown, almost black, and may stink rather badly as well.

I was already aware of the "yellowing" (is that even a word lol), that's why I plan to buy several different cases, so I can replace when the first becomes yellow, and it gives me the chance to try different brands and compare.

Yeah, looks like we're falling in that typical irrelevant forum pattern, so frustrating, but hopefully, Lunatic59 comes to help:

Normally I go with Spiegen cases, and I tried a few for the G6, but I ended up with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6QD1QW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It seems better fitting and the right combination of clarity and flexibility. I've had it on my phone for almost a year and there is no yellowing at all. Just a few scuff marks. Recommended.

Thanks for the review, i'm considering buying this case even if I can't stand the little dots pattern, it was number 1 in my list. I want to buy 2 or 3 different cases just to compare and change when I'll need to.
I know I'm annoying, but I'm this kind of guy who's gonna read tons of reviews and watch tons of Youtube videos before buying anything.

(and for the others, yes, I know "dots" prevent the "rainbow effect on the back glass", just in case you still want to talk about things we've already sorted out. But I know some brands manage to prevent that without the dots, it's jsut hard to find out on pictures which case has dots and which actually doesn't).[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Little update.

I want to order on Amazon, and the Trianium Clearium doesn't ship to Europe (or with +20$ fee, which makes it not worth at all).
I'm now hesitating between 4 cases:
Ringke AIR
Ringke FUSION
Spigen Liquid Crystal
Spigen Crystal Shell (also known as Ultra Hybrid)
I think i'm gonna buy 2 of the 4. Anyone has experience with one of those ?
Plus, I'm wondering if it's better to have a fully flexible case (like the Ringke AIR and the Spigen Liquid Crystal), or a more rigid case (like the Ringke FUSION and the Spigen Crystal Shell).

Upvote 0
The tech21 case looks cool and seems solid but same problem as the Trianium Clearium for me, no shipping to Europe, or very expensive. That's why I had to make a restricted selection with the 4 models I quoted earlier.
Any thoughts about rigid vs flexible cases ?
And don't worry about the "case in the original box", the guy is probably just trolling.

Upvote 0
And don't worry about the "case in the original box", the guy is probably just trolling.

@dontpanicbobby bought his G6 from B&H Photo and not through a carrier or in a phone shop so he probably did get a case in the box. I got mine through AT&T and there was no case. I did get a few phones to test that had a cheap case int he box, so it's not trolling.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
@dontpanicbobby bought his G6 from B&H Photo and not through a carrier or in a phone shop so he probably did get a case in the box. I got mine through AT&T and there was no case. I did get a few phones to test that had a cheap case int he box, so it's not trolling.

Oh my bad then. My apologies @dontpanicbobby.

I've never seen that ever, seemed pretty troll to me lol sorry.

Upvote 0
Apology accepted @EZG.

I've got to admit that the G6 is a seriously cool looking phone so your desire for a clear case to show that design philosophy off makes perfect sense to me. But the disadvantage of a clear case it it won't protect the screen.

Check out this JerryRigEverything video to see what I'm talking about. Short version; clear cases don't usually have a lip to protect your screen if you lay it flat on the screen.

Upvote 0
The 4 cases in my list have lips allowing to put the phone face down without the screen making contact. Its not huge lips and that will probably not protect as much as bulkier cases if it falls hard face down, but that's a trade off I'm ok with to have a clear case.
I might end up buying the 4 actually lol. Its gonna turn yellow over time anyway so I guess they're all gonna be useful.

Upvote 0
It's not about the fall. Just putting it face down can scratch it.
Don't worry about the yellowing cases. Worry about your phones screen getting scratched.

The 4 cases in my list have lips allowing to put the phone face down without the screen making contact.

It's like you read just half of my posts lol. It feels so hard to have a constructive chat.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I have been using the Ringke Air for about 6 months now and think it is fine. YMMV but I don't notice the dots when the case is on the phone and I don't see any signs of yellowing, although it is not often exposed to direct sunlight and I am not a heavy user.

I also have a Supershieldz glass screen protector on the face and it fits well with the Ringke Air.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones