1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking into getting a smart phone, could use some input

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by CQReborn, Aug 6, 2013.

1. CQReborn

CQReborn Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi guys, hoping you can offer some input. I'm looking into moving over to Ting and getting a smart phone, and I'm looking online at phones compatible with their service.

For example, on Ebay there is a brand new HTC EVO 4G under no contract. If I buy that, will I be able to just call up Ting and get the phone working from there? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm totally new to smart phones and I hear things thrown around like SIM cards and ESM / ESN numbers and I just want to make sure I'm buying the right thing. I might get a nicer phone later, but I want to get an older one first and see how it feels / see how good Ting's service is before I commit to that.

Any input would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Is that phone definitely compatible? If so it will just be a case of getting the Ting sim card and putting it in the phone :thumbup:

3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    In the US, there are two kinds of networks:
    CDMA: Verizon and Sprint
    GSM: AT&T and t-mobile (with rare exceptions - only these use a SIM card)

Most of the other services you hear about use those main four companies networks to sell service to you. Ting uses Sprints CDMA network. So you cannot use a GSM phone (aka a phone that uses a SIM card).

If you have a Ting compatible phone, you would be able to call them and activate it by giving them the numbers off the back of the phone (i.e. the IMEI or ESN).

I have honestly never used Ting. So, I recommend you ask their opinion. Tell them you are looking on ebay and ask them what to look for. For example, a black listed phone is marked as a stolen phone and they would not be able to activate it. (But then you should be able to take that up with ebay in most cases)

Also, I saw this - to confuse you more: In August 2012, Ting announced that by the end of the year customers would be able to use devices that had been designed for use on Sprint or its MVNOs, with the exception of Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile. A public beta was then launched on December 6, offering official support for seven Sprint-branded smartphones; the announcement also included links to a substantial list of other compatible devices and a new discussion area for users attempting to activate them.

Crashdamage likes this.
  4. CQReborn

CQReborn Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for the information, it really helps. My plan is just to buy a used phone off ebay that would work with Ting and try it out, but they got like 2 dozen possible phones and I don't know which one I should shoot for (With low price in mind)

Guess I got some research to do.

5. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    Be honest with your self about how you will use the phone.

If games matter, processor and RAM will matter to you. Maybe screen size too

If photography matters, camera and memory will matter to you.

Maybe you have GPS in your car and don't care about GPS in your phone.

Etc.

Crashdamage likes this.