1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking of "smart" call forwarding app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Alex O, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Alex O

Alex O Lurker

Hello,

The reception in my office ranges between horrible and non-existent, so I am looking for an app that will be able to turn call forwarding on or off by predefined rules.

I am looking for an app that will do the following:
    - When it detects that I am on the office WiFi (by SSID) it will turn call forwarding on to the office number.
    - When it detects that I am no longer on the office WiFi, it will turn call forwarding off.
    - It will show the status and allow an easy manual override (on/off)
    - It will do so RELIABLY (by retrying if there is no reception, etc)

In addition, it will be good it it can turn forwarding on to a VOIP number when on any WiFi and the signal is very low, and off when leaving the WiFi.

I found some apps on Google store that claim to do that, but the reviews were mixed, with people saying that the forwarding does not switch off, so I am looking for your recommendations.

Thank you!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jackdashack

jackdashack Newbie

Hadron and Thom like this.
  3. Welcome to Android Forums.

I also suggest that you look into Tasker. There is an extensive Tasker sub-forum to this forum.

I have done some of what you outlined but not all ... http://tasker.wikidot.com/call-forwarding ... contains ...

I do some work from home, but mobile reception is not very good. So I often re-route calls from my mobile to a home number. This works very well, except that I often forget to turn forwarding off when leaving. Tasker now does this automatically for me, here is how:
    1. Create a profile 'Call forwarding at home'
    2. Add a context for the location, I use 'Wifi Near' with my home SSID
    3. Add a task 'Call' with 'Auto Dial' and the special number to enable call forwarding ('*21#', in my case)
    4. Add to the context for the location an exit task 'Call' with 'Auto Dial' and the special number to disable call forwarding ('#21#', in my case)
    ... Thom

codesplice and KOLIO like this.
  4. Alex O

Alex O Lurker

That sounds interesting, but raises some questions:
    1. How would I know if call forwarding is in effect? Will there be an option to have a visual indication?
    2. Will Tasker be able to know if the operation failed (due to being in a no-service area) and either retry or alert me?
    3. ... and show the correct status (combining #1 and #2 above)
    4. Will I be able to set a quick "button" to manually turn the forwarding on/off and have it play nicely with the above?

I do understand that a generic approach is more flexible and powerful, but sometimes a specialized solution works better for a specific need.

5. jackdashack

jackdashack Newbie

Alex you are going to have to hope Thom chimes in or someone. I have no experience with Taskerm! Sorry. :(

6. I have not built this profile/task. It will take some research and some tinkering.

Perhaps Tasker is something you don't want to deal with.

... Thom

7. Alex O

Alex O Lurker

I will still take a look at it.

And maybe people will make other suggestions as well.

Thank you for your help!