1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking or GOOD Sci Fi apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Troglodad, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Troglodad

Troglodad Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2009
    Tricorder is one of my favorite apps- I had it back on my Palm Pilot. Somethign fun to play with. You activiate it and as you press on the screen you get sound effects as functions launch.

Where are the other apps like this? I see a number of Knight Rider apps, but they all turn out to be just wallpaper of KITT's voice equalizer flashing in a loop animation.

iPad has the star trek PADD app that makes it look like the notebooks from TNG. Why aren't there more apps like that to play around with on android phones?

Advertisement

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Good -- even "GOOD" -- is highly subjective. Tricorder, for example, isn't good in my book. Never assume that your preferences are universal.

Any number of reasons including, but not limited to: lack of perceived interest/market, lack of developers willing to do this, etc.

3. Troglodad

Troglodad Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2009
    I find it hard to believe there aren't enough sci fi fans out there to warrant sci fi apps.

I just read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is coming out soon... hopefully Android will be included.

For free, Tricorder is fantastic. It keeps my kids amused. Win-win

PipClock is available for iPhone, as is PADD (based on ST: TNG) yet neither are available for Android.

Are there no other cool time-wasting apps for the Android?

4. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    For now, it's just for Apple. Makes sense, since they always reminded me of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

5. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Keeping you safe from nasty things that give you c
    Oklahoma, cultural center of the Universe
    Yes, Tricorder by Moonblink is an awesome free app! And Good Morning by Flywheel isn't actually science fictional, but it makes me FEEL like I'm in a science fiction book by waking me up every morning with whatever greeting I put into it, plus reading my calendar entries for the day to me, and reading the weather forecast out loud. Feels like being in a science fiction novel!

In the same vein, Google Voice Search lets you speak commands to your phone such as "Listen to The Rolling Stones" "Call Fred Smith" or "Navigate to McDonald's" and your phone will follow your instructions! Very science fiction-seeming!