1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Looking to buy, but a few questions...Thanks!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adamvk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. adamvk

adamvk Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Well, I'm in the market for a new phone on AT&T. I currently have a Captivate, so obviously Android comes to mind first. I also figured, that if I have this phone for 2 more years, I might as well get a "4g" phone. That leaves the Atrix, Inspire, and 4G.

I REALLY REALLY LOVE the Inspire a LOT. I love the hardware, the camera, and the HTC sense UI. However I've heard that the battery leaves the phone practically unusable. I refuse to buy another Samsung phone ever again due to how terrible my Captivate was.

That leaves the Atrix. I love the hardware, but think the Motoblur is the ugliest interface possible on a modern smartphone.

So...

Is there a good alternate launcher that does an overall good job performance wise, and looks nice?

How is the battery life? I usually check Facebook a few times, have one email account pushed to my phone every hour, text, read engadget, and call maybe once a day. I also play games randomly. Would I be ok?

Does the Atrix support Netflix?

edit: Also, what does the notification led light up for?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    I went from the cappy to the Atrix and love it, have had it now for 4 months. I use launcher pro, but there are many other launchers that do the job.

The phone has a multiple colored led, so it will flash for the normal notifications, message, call, charging, wifi on, gps on... And so on. all in different colors, plus there apps to change the color I think

Battery life is ok, if you only look at android phones as a benchmark, this has the best battery life out of all the phones (android) that I have had.

Oh and GPS is flawless, worked better than expected.;)

3. adamvk

adamvk Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Very good to know. Thank you very much.

4. adamvk

adamvk Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Well, I just bought it! I got it for $150 at Radio Shack. So far I like it a lot, however I just found out that EA doesn't support the Atrix which makes me kinda angry since I played and both both NFS Shift and Sims 3 on my Captivate. I also want there to be a Netflix app, but supposedly thats coming soon.

The battery was at 50% out of box, and I heard in order to train it you're supposed to get it down to about 5% then charge fully, so that's what I'm doing right now. It took about 3 hours with heavy use to drain the battery from 50-3%. I'm hoping its just because it was the first charge.

So far, I'm very impressed though. The screen looks great, and the hardware seems solid.

5. kkel19

kkel19 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    for a 4.0 inch display and dual core...im actualyl very impressed with the battery life

6. adamvk

adamvk Newbie
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Well supposedly dual core is supposed to be better for battery life because it can access the power whenever it needs it in a more efficient way.

7. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I have had my Atrix for over two month now and really love it and still learning new things about it and how to make it better.

Question 1: I use ADW Launcher Free, instead of Motoblur. (There is Launcher Pro as well.) You will have to try them out and see which one works best for you. For me, I like having a customizable Docket and Hidden Docket tray. Ability to either swipe up or pinch to view home screens in helicopter view. You can choose up to 7 home screens and up to 5x5 rows/columns for each home screen. It runs smoother then Motoblur and you can back up your setting and home screen configuration. You still can use Motoblur widgets.

Question 2: You should be fine, if you set up your phone right. What I mean is, using the stock Task Manager, don’t have e-mails, social networking, etc. updating every hour. Have it set to update every 4 hours or so. Don’t use auto brightness and don’t have the screen to full brightness when indoors. (In doors, I have mine set at 10% brightness. Outside I use 100% brightness in direct sun light, since I ware sunglasses.) I can get 16 hrs with having 20 widgets, checking two email accts. Every 4 hrs. Streaming music for 2 hrs. Using GPS for 20 min. Surfing the net and reading news widgets and some text messaging.

Question 3: No Netflix. (But I heard its coming). I use HBO Go. (You have to already have a HBO subscription.) Discovery, Kid TV, TV for Android and TV. Com.

Question 4: e-mail, calendar events, voice mail, missed calls, text messages.

8. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    tech stuff
    Austin, TX
    Really not necessary and you can damage your battery by doing this. The Atrix uses a Lithium Ion Polymer battery (pretty much same as lithium ion, but built a little differently.) They work best, and last LONGEST, by maintaining a partial discharge. See more here:

Charging Lithium-ion – Battery University

9. HankAtrix

HankAtrix Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    I am the VP of a database software company
    I am from New Orleans but have had the great oppor
    I moved to the Atix a few months ago and love it (I moved from an Iphone and blackberry). The phone is fast, perfect size, and battery life is really good.

I use Juicedefender and ATK to help with battery life evan better than out of the box.

I don't believe it supports Netfiicts yet yet but does support Hulu Plus (I would hightly recommend Hulu).