1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking to Get an Android, Have a Couple Q's

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by EmptyCloud, Feb 16, 2011.

1. EmptyCloud

EmptyCloud Lurker

Hello, I'm new here and looking to get a new Android phone as my old contract has expired.

What I'm looking for in a phone:
    US carrier
    Good battery life
    Decent screen for typing(or a keyboard) and using apps
    Generally good build quality

I'll be using it for calls, texting, apps, and the occasional internet usage. I don't really need it to play movies, games, take videos, etc. but those features would be a plus.

Now the reason I'm asking this here and not some other mobile forum is that I want to customize my phone so that when it sits idle in my pocket, it does nothing but listen for incoming calls or texts. No wifi, no updating apps, not checking for tweets, email etc.; basically, everything to preserve battery. Then when I turn it on, I would like to still keep those features off, and have the apps updated manually or something like once every 2-6 hours, unless I specifically turn the app/feature on.

Essentially I want to disable everything besides the kernel/OS and the radio, and activate them manually when needed. Is this possible? Also is it possible to tweak the radio checking/updating so that it does so less frequently and eats up less battery?

So is Android the right platform for what I'm looking for, and if so what would be a good phone to look at?

Thanks and sorry if my question is stupid as I'm not too knowledgeable about phones really :)

Advertisement

2. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member

I would say Android should be able to meet your needs and then some. There are numerous battery saving apps on the market you can use to adjust how often the phone turns on data usage and whatnot. At the bottom of the main page here you will see a directory of phone-specific boards. If you have a certain phone in mind, you can search that board for battery-saving tips.

3. EmptyCloud

EmptyCloud Lurker

Well after looking around I decided on the EVO Shift :) Now time to go root it...