1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Looking to get an S7 Edge What do I need to look for?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Covert_Death, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Android Expert

Feb 2, 2010
    Male
    ELP Engineer @ National Instruments
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, long time android user currently running on an iPhone 6S. I want to jump back to android with a good experience and have pretty heavily decided on the S7 Edge. I was hoping to clear a few things up before purchase.

1. If I ever want to root / unlock bootloader to run customer ROMs my understanding is that I need to get an international version.
    a. I am on AT&T, if I get the international version will I see any signal problems at all or does it support all the AT&T radios and will work just fine?

2. Is there any downside to getting the international version if I live in the states? I understand I will likely have to buy used in order to get one (unless someone knows a legit way to get an international one in the states).

any other suggestions or words of advice please advise!

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    The U.S. carrier models of the S7 nd S7 Edge are the only ones in the world that cannot be rooted. See, U.S. carrier S7 models have locked bootloaders and no rooting

The Global, G930F & G935F, are compatible on the AT&T network, as follows...

[​IMG]

There are around 200+ different firmwares for the Global model. You are updated by Samsung, so it does not matter what network you are on.

The Global models are both unbranded and lightly branded and it seems that most, if not all, are receiving unbranded handsets. Check at time of purchase.

Does not have any of the AT&T carrier, "features/bloatware".

Warranty repairs, "may", be a problem in the U.S.

I understand that new, Global, S7 & S7 Edge phones can be purchased from Amazon, Best Buy and Costco, among others.

scanman, Covert_Death and Mikestony like this.
  3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Android Expert

Feb 2, 2010
    Male
    ELP Engineer @ National Instruments
    Austin, TX
    awesome that sounds great. what about the downside?

so far i've heard samsung pay won't work on international models. What other side effects are there? does android pay work?

4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Android Pay is currently only available in the USA and Korea, (soon to be rolled out in the UK), and works fine on the Global model with the Android Pay app from the Play Store in the U.S.

Covert_Death and Mikestony like this.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.