• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to join AT&T, from Verizon, a few Questions

chmodx

Android Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2010
Here's what I'm looking to do.

1. Ditch the evil empire known as Verizon. I've had it with them.
2. Purchase an unlocked GSM based phone.
3. Walk into an ATT store, purchase a SIM Card.
4. Activate the phone I bought elsewhere and use the sim card to a new PREPAID line of service by porting my VZW phone number onto ATT.

While I would expect this to all be very easy, is it possible?

The other question is--can I buy a prepaid goPhone from any retailer, activate that, and then switch any compatible device onto the plan?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly not sure how that would work. I know in theory you can stick an AT&T SIM card in any compatible device and get it to work on their network. (Like the GSM Galaxy Nexus Google sells directly, for example). I'm not sure how the service would be handled though and what AT&T GoPhone android Data services would cost you, for instance. I'd say call up AT&T customer service and ask how they'd handle that.

I would avoid going into a store as they'd probably tell you "no" since they make money selling phones AND plans. I recently switched from Verizon myself and the salesperson in the AT&T store basically told me that I couldn't get a discount through my employer on service like Verizon had been giving me so I'd end up paying more for AT&T than Verizon would gig me when I re-upped. However, when I checked on-line and then called their 1-800 number I found out I could get a discount and end up paying less for what I was using than I was for Verizon with more certainty about what my limits were (in terms of minutes, texts, and data). That's on 2 year contract, however and that may be the better deal for you in the long run.

I'm curious to hear what they tell you also.

Upvote 0
Here's what I'm looking to do.

1. Ditch the evil empire known as Verizon. I've had it with them.
So you want to join the dark side and get in the Death Star... :rolleyes:
2. Purchase an unlocked GSM based phone.
Make sure it has AT&T 3G bands
3. Walk into an ATT store, purchase a SIM Card.
Should be free if your activating service (porting in), not even AT&T is that much of a Nazi.
4. Activate the phone I bought elsewhere and use the sim card to a new PREPAID line of service by porting my VZW phone number onto ATT.

The prepaid plans suck... Why don't you get post paid?

While I would expect this to all be very easy, is it possible?

Should take about 20 to 30 min to complete in a store. You might have mixed service for a few hours until the port completes (dial out form you AT&T phone and receive calls on the verizon one)

The other question is--can I buy a prepaid goPhone from any retailer, activate that, and then switch any compatible device onto the plan?

Key words are compatible...

Do you know what device and plan combination you want to end up with after its all said and done?

That way we could tell you best way to get there if its possible :)

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
This is what i did recently..........
I agree 100% with you about VZW...............grrrrrrrrr

Anyhow.........i went into AT&T and bought the HTC One X. I bought a micro sim card from Straight Talk. The kicker here is...........if you buy a "BYOD" (bring your own device) sim card and put it into a AT&T phone, you will be using the actual AT&T network and AT&T towers. Prior to installing the sim card, just call them and they will port your number to the sim card. Only takes a few minutes if all goes well.
Just make sure you never let the plan you have expire or you will loose your number.
I did this and the unlimited plan cost $45.00 per month. Unlimited voice, text and according to many, they have a limit of about 2GB of data. I never used this much.
No need to have a unlocked phone unless your going to use it on another network such as T Mobile...........

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones