1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root looking to root an HTC Rezound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rcfreaker, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    I'm somewhat new to android. my last android powered device was the samsung galaxy SI on sprint, then i went the way of apple for mot of my products. i am a big apple fan but i don't think android OS is inferior or whatever apple fanboys say. i just like apples ecosystem. anyways i purchased an HTC Rezound which i enjoy very much, but this phone could be so much more, especially with removing the ram and battery hungry bloatware. i know i want the bloatware removed and to be able to have free wifi tether for starters but everything else is up in the air. see i jail broke my iPhone to do quite a lot and it was rather easy but what i soon found out is its was generally all mac software i was using. I own a mac and my problem is a root for my phone using a mac looks horrifying. I'm rather techy, i stay up to date with new computers, tablets, phones and all their specs but I've never really dealt this far into code.

so really I'm using a mac and i desperately need help to root my HTC Rezound.

Advertisement

2. SamXp

SamXp Android Enthusiast
    None

rcfreaker likes this.
  3. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    just my only problem is I'm using a Mac so any windows advice is sadly something i can't use :(

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    moving thread to the All Things Root sub forum for the Rezound
    reason: thread is specific to rooting a Rezound
    thanks for understanding. :)

scotty85 likes this.
  5. icedice34

icedice34 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2012

I too use a mac. I used bootcamp and installed a small windows partition specifically for rooting these devices. Do you have a flash drive? All of this stuff can be run off a flash drive as long as you can access terminal. Go to local library and do it there ...:)

rcfreaker and scotty85 like this.
  6. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    since I'm so new to android and such, I'm rather android illiterate when it comes to all the ways of rooting. kind of confuses me. now i have access to a pc so i can do windows based roots but if you could, like advice on one click roots and such since I'm not all that tech savvy

7. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    unfortunately,there are no one clicks or even working exploits for temp root for the rezound,htcs official bootloader unlock is the only way to gain permanent root. the fastboot commands to unlock are minimal,so im sure icedice34 and some others can help you figure that part out,if you want to use a mac. most other things can easily be done on the phone itself.

its not too big a deal,if you look at the 3 individual steps:
    1)unlock
    2)temp or permant install a recovery
    3)use said recovery to install root files.

read thru the guide to unlock and root,and holler if you have specific questions :)

chknhwk, trophynuts and rcfreaker like this.
  8. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    Thank, I appreciate everyone's help. I was looking for perm root because I have no reason to go back. I think my problem is which correct items to download. I've seen a few forums where they have an HTC root but them it's constantly updated with a new item to download over the previous one and so on. I just wanna make sure what I download is correct before I dive into it all. I do have a windows computer I can use to root so no worries there and I thought the htc bootloader unlock wasn't usable with this phone?

9. scotty85

None

Jul 25, 2010
    yup,htc unlock works fine,weve all here done it ;) the files and such in the stikcy guide are all up to date. follow it,and youll be fine. :)

chknhwk and rcfreaker like this.
  10. icedice34

None

Feb 24, 2012

Follow scotty's noob friendly guide, its a sticky at the top of this forum. If I could follow that, anyone with minimal computer knowledge can. It's very, very well put together...(thanks Scotty!)

11. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    Well again, I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you all :)

trophynuts likes this.
  12. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    now say after the root is all done, where do i go from there as in deleting bloatware, messing with wifi tether, custom roms and such like that. when jail breaking an iPhone cydia installs itself so you have access to stuff like that but I'm not sure what happens after you root an android.

13. scotty85

None

Jul 25, 2010
    best way to get rid of bloat is to use titanium backup or my backup pro to freeze it for a few days. you can leave it permanently frozen(so you dont see it,but its still taking up memory) in case you need to restore it,or after a few days of it being gone,and causing no side affects,you can permanently delete it.

as for roms,just poke around on xda(Rezound Android Development - xda-developers) and find one that youd like to try. we can help you with the details of installing it when youre ready. just remember to always back up a good working rom in case you need to come back to it later :)

as for wifi tether,there are apps(dont use the vzw hotspot unless you want to pay for it) but as a guide, i cannot help you there :captain:

14. icedice34

None

Feb 24, 2012
    Well I'm only slightly above you as a noob, but if you are going to install a custom ROM, don't worry to much about getting rid of bloat. Most of them come without it. You will almost certainly have to wipe your phone again when you switch to your new ROM.

There is a sticky in this thread with a link to Roms, my personal flavor of choice right now is clean Rom for ice cream sandwich. Has some good features.

If you are going to stay stock, since I'm not a guide, I can tell you barnacle WiFi tether (available in the play store) was the only WiFi tether I was able to get to work, and it was ad-hoc only. CleanRom comes with a different tether app, and instructions for how best to set it up. This has worked for me as a true WiFi hotspot.

Happy rooting! Good luck.

15. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    now just a couple more things. whats the best way to back up everything before i do all this? i dont wanna lose everything after i unlock the bootloader and such. and if something goes wrong, how can i restore it to factory?

16. scotty85

None

Jul 25, 2010
    sync as much with google as you can. there are apps to save text and call logs,i believe,that work without being rooted. unfortunately,thats about all you can do.

best thing to restore the factory rom,is to make a backup RIGHT BEFORE flashing the superuser root files in recovery. this will give you a backup of your stock,unrooted factory rom. you can easily resotre it,and even relock if you need to.

aside from that,the sticky root guide has directions for restoring just the boot/system/recovery images,and directions for running a full RUU,if needed :)

17. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    well some things confused me a bit but i overall and now backing my phone up and am almost done rooting my phone. thank you all for the advice and help.

scotty85 likes this.
  18. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    thanks again all for all the help, i am now running cleanROM 4.3 and installed it and everything in one go. though it was incredbily confusing at times. do have to say thannks to scotty85 for all the help as well. without your guides and how to manually install ROMs id be screwed. and i have to ask, scotty85, did you create cleanROM? if not just a coincidence since its scotts roms and all. well again, thank you all.

19. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    ok sadly that was short lived happiness. keeps power looping, yay me. not exactly sure where to go from there

20. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    sorry for mass posting but here is where i am at now. removed boot.img, flashed cleanrom 4.3 again. loaded up and phone stayed on. says its running sense 3.6 with ICS 4.0.3. now at that time it seemed like things were going ok but it won't mount the sd card. i tried putting boot.img back on and yeah kinda crashed again. so right now i removed boot.img AGAIN and flashing once more. without the boot.img the phone doesn't power loop and seems to work

21. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    ok so found this infamous old firmware update within the cleanROM. installed that from recovery and now shows my sd card again, now can i install boot.img now?

22. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    did a lot of deleting and flashing and reinstalling kernels and all that and finally after 5 hours i am now running a custom rom for the first time. big applause to scotty85 for his guides on how to, otherwise i would be toast right now

23. scotty85

None

Jul 25, 2010
    nope,as much as id love to have the knowledge/patience/time to do roms,i cant take any credit. scott scrossler is the mastermind behind scotts roms :)

if you had not installed a boot image you were running on the GB kernel :eek: looks like youve figured it out,but yes,install the boot.img.

the process i use:
    1)launch recovery from fastboot
    2)make backup
    3)full wipe(data/fctory reset,cache,dalvik cache,boot,system)
    4)flash rom
    5)flash patch(if needed)
    6)boot to bootloader and manually flash boot.img.

most roms will auto install the kernel,so you can allow that if you wish. but you can wipe and flash everything before booting the phone,that way you dont have bootloops or non-funtional roms :eek:

awsome! glad you got it all figured out :cool:

24. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    my whole 2 hours of issues revolved around that pesky update hidden in cleanROM and that boot.img.but after i figured it all out, it really is such a simple process to root. well either way, thanks for the guides on phandroid, they helped me so much. and see an apple user can be techy savvy :p

25. rcfreaker

rcfreaker Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    Any thoughts on why my phone won't vibrate anymore when set to vibrate?

Tags: