1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Looking to root, help with terminology?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Danielson2047, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    Portage, WI
    Just got my thunderbolt last week and am starting to look at the root process more in depth. I rooted my last phone (MD1) and never regretted it. I see it looks a bit more complicated with the TB. First off, what does "RUU", "S-OFF/S-ON", "hboot" and "fastboot" mean? Also, can anyone suggest the best methods for rooting/unrooting? I need to have a definite way to unroot before i am willing to root. With the Moto, i just ran RSD Lite and boom, back to stock in 5 min. Any similar programs for the TB? Thanks guys.

Advertisement

2. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    Check the stickies at the top of the page.

scotty85 likes this.
  3. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    AZ
    I am new to TB/HTC rooting terminology as well.

Here are some I found...

From the terminology thread.

scotty85 likes this.
  4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    FYI,I will hopefully have a chance to work on definitions over the weekend :)

5. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    to quickly answer a couple... S-ON is simply a "security on" bootloader. it will only flash files approved by HTC,and does not allow any kind of flashing like an S-OFF bootloader will.

hboot is simply the bootloader. its the white screen with colored letters that you flash PG05IMG files on :)

fastboot is a mode of hboot that lets you flash or push files to the phone. it is only useable on an s-off phone. it is expecially useful in recovery situations where there is no custom recovery or operating system.

check the sticky rooting methods thread for unroot methods. their solid and definate,i promise.

rsd lite is basically a way of interfacing with the bootloader. you do the same things by flashing PG05IMG files in hboot.

you fire up RSD lite and .sbf a stock rom back onto a moto. to do the same thing on a htc phone,you place a PG05IMG file on the sd card,and power on into hboot. the phone will find the file and flash it. besides stock firmware,a bootloader can be used to flash radios,splash images,or any part of the system. i personally prefer htcs hboot method to motos rsd lite method(i did have a droid 1,so i know some about motos :)) there are alot fewer variables. you have to have drivers on the pc,and the software to do the flashing. everything working is dependend on the computer,usb cable,and phone working properly. once you put a PG05IMG file on the phone,it is the only variable. your power could go of in your house,and youd be done with the moto. with the htc you can sit in the dark and watch the phone finish :D

an RUU is htcs "Rom Utility Updater" its somewhat similar to rsd lite actually,with the exception that RUU you download contains the rom to flash,and the program to install it,and the files to install that program. it does the same thing as flashing in hboot,with exception that the phone remains plugged into the PC while its updating. when you see people refering to RUU here,and on xda, they are more than likely refering to hboot file flashing ,rather than actually running the utility.

hope that helps :)

HalfFrozen likes this.