• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to switch to Android

acdougla17

Lurker
Aug 2, 2013
I have never followed anything Android related but I think it's time to make the switch. I have been using an HTC Surround running WP7 for the past 2 years. I love the OS but the lack of apps and games is very disappointing.

Ideally, I am looking to buy a phone for under $200 that is either unlocked or AT&T compatible. I use Net10 wireless because I dont want to be locked into a contract.

The important part is that I would like for the phone to be able to run some of the more demanding games like Dead Trigger. Will I be able to find something under $200 or is that wishful thinking?

On the used route, get an unlocked Galaxy S2 for about $200, or go for an AT&T branded S3 used for a hair more.

The S2 is more than enough for dead trigger. It will run virtually all Android games in a playable manner, but newer high end games will be a bit much.

You can also look into the Blu Life series. They had a low end quad core with an outstanding GPU that performs in games on par with Tegra 3. They run $200-$250 for the lower models.

But based on what you want, the ideal solution is the 16GB Nexus 4 for $350. It is the closest that you will get to a $600 phone without actually spending $600.

Upvote 0
Hello. I just picked up a new HTC One X (and sold my Nokia Lumia 900 - loved that device) that I'm using on Straight Talk. I got mine from a deal online for only 175. While, it's probably not the norm to get a One X that's fairly new at that price, it's worth a try. He had it at 2 something originally and told me to make an offer. Anyway, I'm new to Android as well. Well, not really, but I've been stuck on the Nokia Lumia 900 and haven't used anything android related in a year so yeah, I'm readjusting. Hope you find good device.

Upvote 0
No, it's not the One. Lol. However, I've bought and sold a lot of things online and you'd be surprised what people would sell for a low price when times get rough and desperation sets in. I've gotten a couple of deals that way, however I usually can easily spot a scam so that's probably why I haven't gotten any bad apples yet. Lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones