• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to switch to Sprint- Shift vs Epic?

prosan98

May 22, 2011
There are lots of threads about this, but none of them are recent, and thus don't address these 2 phones running Gingerbread. From what I can gather through a lot of Googling, the upgrade hasn't been great for either phone. However, since it's so new to the Epic (just released about 10 days ago) I am wondering whether more bugs have been worked out with the Shift.

When I researched the 2 phones before the update, I was very, very torn between these 2 phones. People seem to love them either way- I think the Epic might be too big for me, but I do like the Amoled screen (I think). I doubt I would ever use video chat, so that's probably a non-issue.

I'm coming from a piece of crap Motorola Cliq that was abandoned by Motorola at Android 1.6, though I'm now running the voluntary upgrade to 2.1. I really still want a physical keyboard- I know, I know everyone swears I will get used to using touchscreen with or w/o swype, but I don't want to get used to it- I hate touchscreen.

So these are my choices- it makes me nervous that these phones are over a year old at this point. Am I going to regret buying either one of them in the near future (and keeping it at least a year, if not 2)?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

eta: I probably wouldn't root, so that's not really an issue for me.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones