1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Looking to take over Verizon account w/ unlimited data

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Darknsith, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Darknsith

Darknsith Lurker

Hello all. I'm anew user here and I've browsed the forums under multiple occasions for all my android needs (rooting evo 3d features, etc) but ive been looking to get verizon service for some time now.

i currently have an unlimited everything plan prorated down to 59.99 through sprint as an employe through best buy. Unfortunately i would like to have verizon but without the unlimited data package i don't want to sacrifice what i already have with sprint.

At the moment I am willing to either buy someone's account through verizon if they have unlimited OR i am willing to do a "carrier swap" in which i can trade unlimited for unlimited

If anyone is interested please PM me. I'm sure we can work something out

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jman42028

Jman42028 Well-Known Member

fyi, there was another post for this same exact thing a few days ago. With verizon, if you are taking over an account and putting it in your name, which includes doing an AOL (assumption of liability) you will NOT keep unlimited data.

Right now with verizon, if you get a 4g device you get 4 gb's of data for $30 a month. Jump on that. Look at your usage on sprint, I bet, unless you watch a lot of netflix, you will not go over 4 gb's of data.

3. Darknsith

Darknsith Lurker

I understand
    The main reason I am looking at Verizon unlimited at the moment is because I utilize tethering

More specifically I have the Verizon LTE Hotspot and by switching sim cards back and forth between the hotspot and phone I can utilize the 4G hotspot without committing to the contract since Sprint is cdma and doesn't use sim I can't take advantage if this

As far as data usage I'm not sure how much I am using BUT I can tell you on occasion I do connect my laptop using the Sprint mobile phone hotspot (which sucks btw )

I would assume that alone takes up a lot of data

EDIT:
    I saw that post and understood from the link that it was possible without losing the unlimited data
    I also understood that not only was possible but was successfully done. If anyone has any other suggestions by all means feel free to share

4. JWellington

JWellington Newbie

Check on eBay. I myself saw some people selling their AT&T Accounts with unlimited data. I was interested....until I read up on AT&T. I don't want their service anymore. Thanks.

5. rewd

rewd Newbie

I successfully assumed liability of a person's account today and kept their unlimited data plan. I asked the CS Rep that did the transfer multiple times if the grandfathered data plan would remain and she assured me it would.

It was a really simple process... I used one of those cell plan swapper sites, found a guy with plan he wanted to get rid of and took it over after a credit check. Then I called Verizon's number to port my old phone number from AT&T and that only took 20 minutes. After that I activated my old BlackBerry Storm 9530 on the account temporarily until the former account holder sends me his old phone. Went off without a hitch.

I just created my verizonwireless.com account and checked my data usage. Sure enough, it's sitting at "5.0mg of unlimited."

6. Jman42028

Jman42028 Well-Known Member

iIts written in vzw's lengthy rules that changes like doing an AOL to your account will lose your unlimited data. I'm happy that you got to keep it, but just because you did doesn't mean that every single person who does an AOL will get to keep it, because that is not the case. I have done numerous AOL's where the customer didn't get to keep unlimited data. You are more the exception to the rule rewd.

7. Scur

Scur Android Expert

Let's keep this a pleasant conversation for the sake of others, I'd like to see this thread's info stay up.

I wouldn't call Jman wrong, really. His point of not keeping unlimited data would probably be more accurate to say that Verizon has no obligation to keep the plan intact, but that doesn't mean it isn't a possibility.

If you do try to switch a contract over, just keep in mind that you can catch more flies with honey than sugar. Your odds of success can only increase.

Slug likes this.