1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Lookout Security for Android ???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by musicworld, Oct 24, 2014.

1. musicworld

musicworld Lurker

Just wondering if anyone uses Lookout security app? Did a recent test to locate my phone, all that came up was location and street name but no building number or satellite image. However another Lookout user confirmed after their phone was stolen they were able to gain street and building number and Lookout took a camera image of the person after they tried entering the wrong pin number several times. Are these features actually available with Lookout? Or was I being taken for a ride?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Those features actually do work :)
    It does depend on the location that it finds - remember that the phone has no easy way of determining the address of the location it is at. It just gets GPS coordinates. You can pull up that GPS coordinate in Google maps (or other mapping software) and get the location - but it may not be able to give you the exact street address.

Getting a picture after 'x' incorrect sign in attempts is also a feature (but only with the premium/paid version of lookout)

3. musicworld

musicworld Lurker

Thanks for that feedback, premium does if for you then, it's tempting, may go with it?

4. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

I haven't check what all the features are for samsungs find my mobile but have you checked it out? It shows my street since my phone is at my house right now plus I like that I can lock my device or ring it if I loose it in the house so I set up an account. Is lookout better? I don't tend to loose my phone so would only have to worry about theft but my phone is always in my site. Mary
    Find My Mobile | Samsung Content & Services

5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I have tusseled with the idea for a long time.
    I have used Lookout for a couple of years with the paid version.

but, I have quit using it, or any other similar type program simply because it is more promise than truth.

1st: The gps in the phone has to be ON, it must be able to Receive DATA, and it must be able to get a "current fix" as of the time a poll hits it for location. Too many times, I got back bogus locations in my testing and making notes over the years.

• The phone had been moved from "out in the clear" to inside a building at the time of poll. I worked in a huge warehouse a 1/4 of a mile long. Now just where is it? There are about 30 offices, and 14 warehouse storage areas, and 100s of boxes piled 30 feet high. Where was it when it fell out of my pocket?
    • The GPS receiver was not locked onto enough satellites to provide an accurate location. Errors of 300 feet to a mile occurred.
    • The GPS was OFF at the time of poll, Lookout turned it on, but since the gps had been "off", it did not have a current and accurate ephemeris; so it just replied with what it did have and it was off by many miles. Not feet, Miles....
    • The phone is "out of range", thus no answer to the poll
    • The battery is dead; thus no answer to the poll
    • The phone was laying in a puddle of water about 1 inch deep, it acknowledged the poll and died..... right there and then (real story) without getting a GPS fix (it was under water, remember?) I got an ACK back, but it was blank and nothing more happened. (the phone was found by accident later)
    I'm sure, if I had my old notebook, I could relate more, but it is, IMO False Insurance sold to us just to "Make Us Feel Good".

Here is my current feelings:

• I do NOT buy phone insurance
    • I do NOT buy security programs to find a lost phone
    • I DO buy neckstraps
    • I DO buy military grade cases for the phone
    • I DO carry it in my shirt pocket, with the neckstrap around my neck. NOT in a lunchbox, or on the car's dashboard, or laying on a desk somewhere. Never! If the phone is NOT in use, it goes back in my shirt pocket.
    • I DO have a wireless charger by my bed, that is the major single exception to the above. That negates wearing out the USB charging port.
    • I have dropped my phone(s) many times, the case saved them, or the neckstrap saved them (toilet and another water puddle, and deep grass once while mowing the yard)
    So, there is why I don't think those things like Lookout and other apps are worth anything except to empty your wallet.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. YMMV, that is just life...

Been there, done that.

6. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Personally, I use only the free version. I use Cerberus (free + one time In-App-purchases of just under $4) instead - it does the same things (GPS location, photo of user in case of 'x' unsuccessful unlock attempts etc).
    It will even check for a changed SIM.

If you are rooted, it will give you even more features (uninstall protection)

Check it out.

7. 9878

9878 Member

I started using McAfee Free Security & Antivirus when Lookout cut some of the "free" versions services. McAfee is free for now.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews