• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looks like LG ditched the 16gb version.

I understand why they're going this direction though. External storage is liable to be stolen. So private data there is a problem. At least restricting to internal storage that problem is solved with a stolen device. You can remotely wipe the device in those instances. Granted, idk how anyone would get their phones stolen. I take my phone everywhere, and when I'm not home it stays in my pocket unless I'm using it.

Upvote 0
The problem with limited storage for me is that i have 9GB of music. I don't like to store music that i listen to daily in the cloud, esp. with Sprint's slow 3G (where i drive, there is no 4G).

But then again, it looks like Google will be eliminating SD access from its Google Music app!! :( WTF?!

Upvote 0
I understand why they're going this direction though. External storage is liable to be stolen. So private data there is a problem. At least restricting to internal storage that problem is solved with a stolen device. You can remotely wipe the device in those instances. Granted, idk how anyone would get their phones stolen. I take my phone everywhere, and when I'm not home it stays in my pocket unless I'm using it.

I don't think this is the reason at all for doing away with external memory. I tend to think it's 1 of these 2 things...if not both:

1. Space inside the phone is at a premium nowadays. We are demanding more and more from our phones, while also maintaining the thinnest profile. It's getting more difficult to pack so many features inside such a small space. Doing away with the external SD slot frees up space.
2. Vendors and more specifically the carriers, want you using the cloud more. This in turn gets you using more data. By limiting the storage on your device will likely get you to start using cloud storage more, and then more data. Don't be fooled by this thought one bit. Cloud storage was being pushed to consumers shortly before unlimited data plans went away.

#2 got me using it more when I got my Galaxy Nexus. I store most of music now with my Google Music account; except for my custom mixes. I keep these local on the device. This allows me to free up some moderate space for keeping a few movies on my phone as well. Regardless, I think the G2 is going to be my next phone in a few weeks. I'm ready to ditch my GN after 20 months. It has been under-performing big time over the last few months.

Reactions: BecomingDeath
Upvote 0
I don't think this is the reason at all for doing away with external memory. I tend to think it's 1 of these 2 things...if not both:

1. Space inside the phone is at a premium nowadays. We are demanding more and more from our phones, while also maintaining the thinnest profile. It's getting more difficult to pack so many features inside such a small space. Doing away with the external SD slot frees up space.
2. Vendors and more specifically the carriers, want you using the cloud more. This in turn gets you using more data. By limiting the storage on your device will likely get you to start using cloud storage more, and then more data. Don't be fooled by this thought one bit. Cloud storage was being pushed to consumers shortly before unlimited data plans went away.

#2 got me using it more when I got my Galaxy Nexus. I store most of music now with my Google Music account; except for my custom mixes. I keep these local on the device. This allows me to free up some moderate space for keeping a few movies on my phone as well. Regardless, I think the G2 is going to be my next phone in a few weeks. I'm ready to ditch my GN after 20 months. It has been under-performing big time over the last few months.

I think all the reasons mentioned above are possibilities. However, Google has already said that they are moving away from SD because of security and stability reasons.

SD card is major source of pain for security reasons, esp. if you're looking into becoming true business devices where security is paramount...and why Blackberry (and lately Apple) has had a strong foothold due to security measures to prevent theft and leak of info on the phone. If you notice, then you will see that Googe & Samsung (and soon all Android makers) are now aggressively aiming for businesses.

In addition, SD card memory is not exactly the poster child for stability! How many threads have we seen where the SD memory has become corrupt?!

App developers also have moved away from SD storage because access to it is not smooth nor reliable. This is why very few apps now allow you to move to SD card, even if you are able to.

I am sure that space constraints and push to cloud may have something to do with this as well. But, security and stability reasons are the main factors IMHO...and also Google's stated reasons.

For me, I prefer SD because I have about 10GB of music (imported from iTunes) that I need to store on my phone for quick access anytime. I am on Sprint and, at my work (and the journey there everyday), I have only 3G. We all know how slow Sprint 3G is...I cannot rely on streaming! I have not rely on Google's music because I don't trust its quality...and from seeing their movies quality, I will stick with iTunes!

I do like that my photos taken with camera is stored on SD to offload my internal memory (on Note 2). However, I am sure that if I was running for political office in NY and someone steals my phone (or SD card), then they can post my family jewel pictures on TMZ. :D

So, I have mixed feelings about SD card. BUT, the biggest complaint I have about LG G2 is the lack of removable battery! I am a heavy user because it is my work and pleasure phone. I charge it constantly...due to both habit and need. Since my phone is my pager (for work), I cannot afford to let battery run low at any time. With my frequent charging, I will kill the internal battery (decrease battery life after each charge) before the 2 years is up! I sure hope that LG G2's battery is durable!

Upvote 0
You should pick up a charging pad: one for home and one for the office...or at least one for the office. This is probably what I will do, so that I can just drop my phone on the pad at work and keep it charged. I have a 9900mAh battery charger I keep on me for when I'm on the road and in my company van. That external battery will charge the G2 3 times completely before needing to be charged again. Just more thoughts. I don't have much of a problem with Google Music because I have it streaming at 320kbps, I have Verizon LTE everywhere I go, and I have unlimited data. Sprint needs to get a-move-on with their LTE. My co-worker has Sprint and they still don't have LTE here in Little Rock.

Upvote 0
You should pick up a charging pad: one for home and one for the office...or at least one for the office. This is probably what I will do, so that I can just drop my phone on the pad at work and keep it charged. I have a 9900mAh battery charger I keep on me for when I'm on the road and in my company van. That external battery will charge the G2 3 times completely before needing to be charged again. Just more thoughts. I don't have much of a problem with Google Music because I have it streaming at 320kbps, I have Verizon LTE everywhere I go, and I have unlimited data. Sprint needs to get a-move-on with their LTE. My co-worker has Sprint and they still don't have LTE here in Little Rock.

For me, I have a car charger and AC charger in my office. I am also around computers all day long. The problem with battery is that with me charging it so frequently, I will kill battery fast.

Upvote 0
For me, I prefer SD because I have about 10GB of music (imported from iTunes) that I need to store on my phone for quick access anytime. I am on Sprint and, at my work (and the journey there everyday), I have only 3G. We all know how slow Sprint 3G is...I cannot rely on streaming! I have not rely on Google's music because I don't trust its quality...and from seeing their movies quality, I will stick with iTunes!

On your note 2 can't you use mass storage? Get a usb key something like 64,128 or even 256 gig and get a OTG (On the go) usb cable. I got one but a Y cable. One end is a female usb to plug in the flash key and a male to plugin what even source of power I want.

Upvote 0
On your note 2 can't you use mass storage? Get a usb key something like 64,128 or even 256 gig and get a OTG (On the go) usb cable. I got one but a Y cable. One end is a female usb to plug in the flash key and a male to plugin what even source of power I want.

Hmmm, interesting...can you do this to the LG G2?? Can I still answer my phone when using this USB key? I am using earphones.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, interesting...can you do this to the LG G2?? Can I still answer my phone when using this USB key? I am using earphones.

The usb drive would just show as storage so answering a call would work. I hope the LG will have this feature. It is nice to have. I know this did not work on a friends old razr but does work on my s3 with no issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones