• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looks like Nexus One for AT&T 3G passed the FCC

With any luck, it is the Nexus One for AT&T and not a lazy HTC engineer not wanting to use different model numbers to differentiate the phones :)
But seriously, this is great. I think it was about a month between FCC filing of the Nexus One and release date. Lets keep our fingers cross, those of use who want a N1 and 3G on AT&T

Upvote 0
With any luck, it is the Nexus One for AT&T and not a lazy HTC engineer not wanting to use different model numbers to differentiate the phones :)
But seriously, this is great. I think it was about a month between FCC filing of the Nexus One and release date. Lets keep our fingers cross, those of use who want a N1 and 3G on AT&T

This would be perfect, but with Tmobile my family would save $30/month, so that is an advantage. I'm not sure AT&T is an advantage for a lot of people. Although it would allow iPhone users who are tired of the platform an upgrade path.

Upvote 0
now if this is the N1 that supports AT&T 3G band, does it mean that it will be subsidized through AT&T? if not, can't you just purchase the unlocked version of it and use it with AT&T and get the $15 ($10 if you have $30 unlimited text) data plan and get 3G?

one of the reasons why tmobile is good is that you buy an unlocked phone and then take it to tmobile you actually pay less per month. with att and verizon, you buy unlocked phone and take it there and pay month to month, you get no monthly discount, just the ability to leave whenever you want.

Upvote 0
one of the reasons why tmobile is good is that you buy an unlocked phone and then take it to tmobile you actually pay less per month. with att and verizon, you buy unlocked phone and take it there and pay month to month, you get no monthly discount, just the ability to leave whenever you want.

i am currently with ATT and have family plan (4 total lines) with the $30 unlimited family text and i purchased a N1 and will add the data (yeah i know it's EDGE, but i am around wifi majority of the time) for $10 since ATT doesn't recognize the N1 as a smartphone; so what i was trying to understand is that if the new N1 with ATT 3G band isn't authorized by ATT, will i still be able to get the $10 data plan, instead of the $30 data plan

right now, if you bring any smartphone that isn't offered by ATT, you can get the unlimted data plan for $15, so i was wondering if that will be possible with the new N1

Upvote 0
i am currently with ATT and have family plan (4 total lines) with the $30 unlimited family text and i purchased a N1 and will add the data (yeah i know it's EDGE, but i am around wifi majority of the time) for $10 since ATT doesn't recognize the N1 as a smartphone; so what i was trying to understand is that if the new N1 with ATT 3G band isn't authorized by ATT, will i still be able to get the $10 data plan, instead of the $30 data plan

right now, if you bring any smartphone that isn't offered by ATT, you can get the unlimted data plan for $15, so i was wondering if that will be possible with the new N1

i'm sure if the nexus one with att band comes out, it will be authorized and thus needing the $30 fee.

Upvote 0
no, you just don't tell att what phone you have, I've been on the 15 dollar thing for years with many phones, some att 3g compatible some not.

you just go online an add the data plan, that's it

you can only do that if the phone isn't recognized by ATT; i couldn't add the $15 data plan on some of the smartphones that i've had with ATT

Upvote 0
idk, I've stuck my sim in iphones before to check. Sure, if you bring your phone in and show someone and ask of course they're gonna say that. Do you think someone's pouring over records to see who has what phone?..
there is a line somewhere on a bill I received one time that stated something like,,,, If we catch you using a smartphone on a lesser plan we reserve the right to backdate charges. You know, small print on the bottom somewhere.
I remember reading that and thinking maybe someone does look.

there's much info about using the cheaper media net plan in MANY forums.

Upvote 0
copy and paste job

p.gif

tyj8tim wrote:
Hello all, I have a question.
Right now I have unlimited family text for $30. And with that I can get the $10 Unlimited Family Data.
If I want to upgrade to a smart phone, I'll have to get the mandatory $30 data plan which DOES NOT include text and that's where my unlimited family text will come in.
So...
Unlimited family text ($30) + Unlimited family data ($10) = $40
Data plan ($30) + Unlimited family text ($30) = $60

The price is $20 difference per month.

Is there a difference in performance/service?
In both case, I'll be able to use the 3G network, access the internet....etc. Am I correct?
If you want to get a smartphone from ATT, you will have to get the $30 data plan. There's no way around that since ALL smartphones require it. Also, if I may add, using the $10 Data Plan with a Smartphone is against ATT's Terms and Conditions.

2) WIRELESS DATA SERVICE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (applies to all customers)
I. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO AT&T'S WIRELESS DATA SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FEATURES THAT MAY BE USED WITH WIRELESS DATA SERVICES AND WIRELESS CONTENT.

General Requirements: AT&T provides wireless data services, including but not limited to, features that may be used with wireless data services and wireless content and applications ("Services"
16x16_smiley-wink.gif
. The absolute capacity of the wireless data network is limited. Accordingly, service is only provided for prescribed purposes and pricing for Data Services is device dependent and based on the transmit and receive capacity of each device. A pricing plan designated for one type of device may not be used with another device. Some devices or plans may require you to subscribe to both a voice and a data plan. If AT&T determines that you are not subscribed to the required plan(s), AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. The Services may be subject to credit approval. An activation fee of up to $36 may apply to each new data line. Compatible data-enabled wireless device required.

I don't believe it has been confirmed, as of yet, if ATT will charge you for the $30 Data Plan if you bought an unbranded phone and tried to use the $10 Data Plan. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of using an unbranded smartphone and the cheaper plan unless you're willing to pay up IF and WHEN ATT catches up with you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones