• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looks like the 30fps cap may be lifted possibly tomorrow OTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL they probably just re-signed Netarchy's kernal and pushed it out as a software update. I'll stay put with all the goodies I have until someone roots the ROM.
Im thinking the same thing. They probably watched the forums over at xda and saw that it was possible and we weren't having any problems with everything working. So now they drop the fix and make it seem like they have been working in the lab for months to get it right. If it is capped at 53 then that would be way to coincedental and would really make me believe the conspiracy theory.

Upvote 0
LOL they probably just re-signed Netarchy's kernal and pushed it out as a software update. I'll stay put with all the goodies I have until someone roots the ROM.

LOL. That, or knowing how much HTC actually knows about their own phone, they just randomly ripped some kernel from XDA and are claiming they did it... somehow reminds me of how some company got started...

Reactions: Ramzes13
Upvote 0
Just a quick update to everyone with ROOT. This new update will make you lose root so it is best to wait till the file is uploaded and root is applied and then we can have the new goodies. You've been warned!!!!

Unrevoked states you can get it back if your using 3.21 but I would not take the chance. Just wait.

Upvote 0
Wow, anybody gotten this update yet? I can't wait. If this pans out, then HTC and Sprint are very awesome indeed. The frame cap was my last minor gripe about this phone.

Still nothing on my phone. I'm in L.A., so I'm figuring East coast folks would get it prior to over here, but who knows.

I'm in the same boat as you. That fps cap was my only complaint at this point.

Upvote 0
Still nothing on my phone. I'm in L.A., so I'm figuring East coast folks would get it prior to over here, but who knows.

I'm in the same boat as you. That fps cap was my only complaint at this point.

Yeah, Sprint seems to always jump the gun with their upgrade notices. I'm guessing late tonight or tomorrow at this point. I'm on the east coast, so I don't think anybody has gotten it yet...unless they are working from the middle of the country out to the coasts.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Sprint seems to always jump the gun with their upgrade notices. I'm guessing late tonight or tomorrow at this point. I'm on the east coast, so I don't think anybody has gotten it yet...unless they are working from the middle of the country out to the coasts.

Actually, that's a good point. It probably started rolling out to Sprint Central and is trickling to the 4G areas first and then everyone else after.

Seems like the update is similar to how the Froyo update went for Moto Droid owners (not everybody got the update on the same day). That's also probably precautionary, just in case the initial updates pushed out and cause issues.

I'm willing to wait. As long as the fps increases, makes video watching and/or shooting smoother, I'll be very happy.

Upvote 0
LOL. That, or knowing how much HTC actually knows about their own phone, they just randomly ripped some kernel from XDA and are claiming they did it... somehow reminds me of how some company got started...

lol not much xda could do they complain HTC just comes down and gets them shut down for reverse engineering thier property main reason they haven't gotten XDA shut down is becasue xda solves 75% of their problems for them lol

Upvote 0
I wonder if all the review sites will do another comparison with the EVO vs. all the other competition.

The EVO did pretty poorly against a lot of the other phones, but with the fps limitation removed, I'd imagine it would perform much better or at least be comparable to the other phones.

No update in Ohio yet. I would also like to know what other phones the EVO performed poorly against.

Upvote 0
No update in Ohio yet. I would also like to know what other phones the EVO performed poorly against.

Just speaking specifically about the fps.

All the comparison videos I saw were on youtube, running different speed tests at the same time. I can't even remember which phones did better, but there were a few. With the fps limitation removed, the EVO should be up to par with the other phones it was compared to, if not better.

Upvote 0
If you rooted your phone, you would indeed, see how almost useless the phone is with it being crapped out at 30fps. I had to stop by the Sprint store today (too lazy to do myself) because the spring on my kickstand popped off in the phone, leaving it to hang-10 in my pocket and almost get ripped off when I dropped it this morning. It was on my way to PT today, so I just figured why not. Anyway, back on topic. While in the store, waiting, I went to mess with the Epic and the Evo, why not right? OH MY GOD the Evo looks like total f$%k stock!! Mine (rooted) put it to total shame!! I was almost repulsed by the framerate enough to put it down! The Epic's got it's own issues hardware wise, but DAMN that stock Evo on display was CHUGGING!!! The tracking issues were VERY apparent to me when I tried using it as well. I almost had to move my finger around on screen, then stop and let it catch up to accurately input! UNACCEPTABLE!! Having to wait on the phone to catch up to you, in my book, is grounds for 'useless'. If I wanted that, I'd get a Pixi.

Maybe Sprint's being kind enough to grace the Evo with the amazing GPS software in the Epic now!! (sarcasm, because the Epic's GPS is almost totally broken. It's usable, to a certain point, but it just doesn't work right at all.)

If that is your honest opinion it is far more useless than an EVO with a 30fps cap. You have to be smoking to even try to pass a story like that.

Upvote 0
If that is your honest opinion it is far more useless than an EVO with a 30fps cap. You have to be smoking to even try to pass a story like that.

He might be exaggerating a bit, but a side by side comparison of a stock EVO and stock EPIC does make the EVO look slow even though the actual differences between snapdragon and hummingbird are small. Sense might look nicer when it's not moving, but from the first scroll of the EVO, you can tell right away that even the underpowered T-mobile G1 is much smoother than it. This gives the impression that the EVO is slower than it actually is.

It's a night and day difference once you root and remove the cap. Now the phone actually feels smooth and snappy even though if you used a stopwatch, the actual real world differences are negligible.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones