• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looks like Virgin Mobile is getting a Phablet

If you'll look at the frequency bands it is compatible with, you'll see there are NOT Sprint network frequencies. Looks like this is a gsm, most likely for Canada. It doesn't look like it's compatible with Virgin Mobile USA.

There are also CDMA and LTE frequencies listed. The spec sheet describes it as Rev A/Tri Band LTE, and also is shown as a Sprint spec sheet. Looks like it really is for VMUSA.

Upvote 0
They have a coverage checker on the qvc page which when I checked showed it would work in my area which is definitely USA. Also did the delivery estimate and it said Aug. 21 which is a couple weeks off so I'd guess they can't ship it just yet. It may appear on VM's site very soon. All indicators show this phone is definitely coming to VM USA.

Upvote 0
Found this info from phonenews.com. Don't know how accurate this info is.

As the phone will be shipping later this week for QVC purchases, the phone is also expected to be officially announced this week, with Virgin Mobile selling the 610 for $149.99 until enough stock is cleared to list the 816 online through Virgin Mobile.

QVC Lists Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 816 For Pre-Order Ahead Of Announcement

Upvote 0
I was considering this phone, until I saw it has an embedded battery, which is a deal breaker for me.

i've had an htc evo 3d for 2+ years and the battery is as good as it's ever been. like you, i'd prefer a user replaceable or an upgrade from a place like anker. the battery isn't stopping me because the only time i'd touched the battery in the evo was when it froze. i'm guessing holding the power button is the same function.
anyway my phone arrives tomorrow. hopefully some of the accessories show up too, flip case from http://www.mobilefun.com/45753-official-htc-desire-816-flip-case-grey-Reviews.htm and the amzer 5 Best Flip Covers and Cases for HTC Desire 816
i wasn't sure which i'd like best so i got both

Upvote 0
I'd be interested in hearing from someone that switched from a gs3 to one of these Desire 816s.

I like virgin so far, but I had been running an old 4.2 custom rom on my Verizon gs3 before switching to my virgin gs3.

I've had such terrible battery life on 4.3/4.4 compared to what I used to get that I'm open to switching to something else.

Upvote 0
I switched from an S3(Virgin Mobile) to the Desire 816. It's been about a month. I like the bigger phone, it helps as I have big fingers. The S3 was and is a great phone however I had so much junk I needed to turn off just to get a decent battery life. I am not on FB or Twitter, still, a lot of things to turn off. With the 816 I feel there is far less bloatware. At least I can't find it the applications to turn off. The list is a lot shorter.

Also, 816 takes a lot more time to set up the way I want than the S3. That could be because I was with Samsung for so long or it could be that with the S3 there are several ways to turn one function on and off and with the 816, just one clear path. I love my 816. Feels solid in my hands, batter last longer, fewer freeze up(while using less ram) and when taking pictures my fingers never block the lens.

Cons: Slow Camera and screen brightness

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones