• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loose USB Cable Charging Connections on 2 NEW Moto G5 Plus Phones

Less than 2 months ago, I bought a Moto G5 Plus online. As soon as I took it out of the box & starting using it I noticed that the USB charging wire would rock back & forth, even though it was placed in the port completely & correctly. Then of course, I think I made things worse by trying to see if another charging cable would fit better. It didn't, and then the USB wire was able to rock back and forth A Lot more . So, I knew it was only a matter of time before my 2 week old cell phone's charging port would need to be replaced. I decided to ask for an exchange from the small online cell phone dealer I bought it from on Ebay. The dealer was really nice and sent a replacement. I treated the 2nd cell phone more carefully than imaginable. However even before I got the plastic off the charging block, I connected the USB wire to the phone's USB port (only) for the 1st time & Immediately I noticed that this USB cable didn't fit in perfectly without being able to be moved either. It moves without me intentionally trying to move it. It's not something I'm trying to make happen.
I didn't try to force it or play around with it in a stupid attempt to fix the loose connection, like I did with the 1st phone. Plus, ironically, having the cell phone in the protective case I purchased for it, gives it slightly more stability.

The phone still charges without any problem. However, I'm very worried what is going to happen in 6 months. Will I have to pay the huge expense of having the charging port replaced? Is this a defect in the model because I haven't seen any other similar complaints AND I'M POSITIVE I DIDN'T DAMAGE THE 2nd CELL PHONE'S MYSELF. I didn't even have the phone setup before I saw the problem this time.

I'm extremely careful with my electronics. The Moto G5 Plus was only my 2nd model smart phone ever. I had purchased a 2nd hand Samsung S5 that I had for 2 years. The USB 3.0 connection ALWAYS fit snugly into that phone, even after I got water into the charging port and it became slightly corroded. So, that's the only other smart phone I can reference, but I've had MANY cheap & inexpensive phones & tablets and I haven't had this kind of problem before.

Of course, the Ebay cell phone dealer wasn't an "Authorized" Motorola dealer, but both of the phones appeared to be properly sealed from the manufacturer. I must decide if I'm going to live with this problem or if I'm going to try to get a refund from the seller within the next 24 hours.

I appreciate all advice as I'm not very knowledgeable about android smart phones and I do realize that this forum is mostly for help with Android OS. I posted on the Motorola forum, but no one has responded to my post yet. Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

The cell phone, the USB cable, charger, the tool to open the SIM card tray, ect were ALL brand new in a a sealed box from Motorola for both phones. I've bought many electronic fakes on Ebay, some of which were pretty convincing, but these boxes would've cost a fortune to fake looking so new. Plus, I did try a 3 month old Samsung charger that came with my friends cell phone, but that cable was WORSE & even looser.
Even though I can't find 1 CDMA Verizon MVNO compatible cell phone under $300 that has 64GB, a fast processor & so many great features, I don't think I have much of a choice but to try to return this phone for a refund. I took a quick look at the steps required to replace a charging port and it scared me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones