• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lose reception, restart phone to get it back?

Apr 11, 2010
Love love love my Desire. Few little problems here and there (Music Genre, Battery life etc) but the one main thing that is really bugging me is, that if I lose reception (I live in a area with lots of valleys), it will never regain reception even if I enter a town centre or City. I always have to either switch Airplane mode on then off. Or more often than not, turn the phone off completely and switch it back on, where it then finds reception straight away.

Anyone else getting this?

I'm on Vodafone and using the latest Generic Rom

I dont think that this is an issue with Desires, but more so with all smart phones. My first "smartphone" was an o2 XDA, I then used a normal phone for a while (SE c702) then an iPhone and just last week I got a Desire (Orange network, I unlocked and de-branded it as soon as I could).

I also live in a poor reception area, it was bad on o2, it's "worse" on Orange. With o2 I got a nearly constant 1 or 2 bar signal when the phone was beside my bed. With Orange I get a signal that varies from 1 bar to full, but only when it is on a shelf fairly high up my wall, and behind my TV (awkward even for 6'5 me to reach to!)

I've always found that smart phones are less capable in poor signal areas than regular phones. I'm not sure why, maybe interference from the extra hardware eg the GPS or Wifi?

I have the same issue, it's very difficult to regain a "lost" signal, today I did have to reboot the phone to get it, but normally I just put it on the shelf and it regains it. I feel your pain!

Upvote 0
My Desire has lost the 3G/GPRS/HSDPA signal a few times, I have managed to kick start it again by putting it in Airplane mode for a few seconds and then back to normal again and has worked every time so far.

It's a right pain in the ar*e. I lose ALL reception and obviously if my phone is in my pocket, I won't notice until I look at it and turn Airplane Mode on.

Upvote 0
This happened twice to me in the last few days. It doesn't happen every time after I've been in an area with no reception, but very annoying when it does happen as you don't know always that the reception should be good again ... Very weird, on top of this I have the shutdown problem so I always ended up removing the battery. After reboot, all nice and sweet again ...

I'll try the airplane mode next time as i didn't know about this trick.

Anybody else having this problem? Could be a network/sim issue ?
I'm on Orange, unlocked.

Upvote 0
i am having similar issues my 3greception goes of randomly and will only come back on when i do a factory reset followed by a recovery boot leave on screen with red triangle on then remove battery and it will work for a while really annoying any ideas

(orange de-branded handset on 2.2 .ruu file downloaded from xda developers )

Upvote 0
I had the same problem but found the solution on this thread: Data connection problem on my HTC Desire - Page 5 - xda-developers

I followed this and it fixed it for me:
Open the Phone dialer and type in *#*#4636#*#* (note the symbols are backwards)

Tap on Phone Information

Scroll Down and set your Preferred Network Type to GSM auto (PRL) - NOTE this does not disable 3G or HSDPA! Speed tests still show I am receiving speeds up to 2.4mbps - NOTE there will still be the 3G and H icons in your status bar

This has fixed the connection dropout issue for me, please let me know if this hasn't helped for someone else.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones