1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Lose unlimited plan with a phone number change?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Sketchr, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    Can anyone verify the ability to change a phone number online and still retain their unlimited data plan?

I just don't want to give them any reason to snatch the unlimited before they do away with grandfathering status for all of us.

Also, will I need to obtain a new SIM (I have a Bolt) after it changes or does SIM data change automatically?

Advertisement

2. Bob Oso

Bob Oso Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    I would imagine it to be the same as changing plan features; no effect on plan status. But unless you're moving out of state, why go thru the trouble of notifying all your contacts of a new number?

3. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    Driver
    Ohio
    For an easy solution, why not just setup a Google Voice number if you really want a new one? Sure people who still have your old one would still be able to use it, but after a while you should weed them out fairly easily.

Google is also working on getting MMS working with it, so there really wouldn't be any functions you would lose.

4. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Streaker By Birff
    In Cell Phone SIMetery
    Also, if the op is referring to an ATT account, its no. you should not lose the unlimited plan. because you are not changing your plan, just the number. I have unlimited and recently thought i needed to change my number to stop some unwanted 800# from calling . Called and CSR assured me i wouldnt lose it.

You probably already know, you can make that change yourself online and select a number that suits you, out of pages of numbers. But, i would browse, pick a number then call csr and have them make the change while on the phone so to "assure" they will not alter your unlimited, and you have a documented call to verify it should something "quirky" happens.

5. Danny_Boy82

Danny_Boy82 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    ATX
    I changed my number with Verizon a few months ago when I upgraded to the Thunderbolt; I did not loose my unlimited plan. But, you know phone companies can be tricky so I would make sure before I made the switch. I don't know about the SIM card.

6. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    MD 20/20
    I did change my phone number about 10 years ago & since I went to a new region they did redo my contract. No impact to me back then, but they did lose my prior history.

7. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Streaker By Birff
    In Cell Phone SIMetery
    I changed a number of one of three lines on my account... All "four" shows up on my online account in the billing and usage area... I am sure as rolling months take on new cycles and older monthe rolls off, the fourth (or old numbers activity) will eventually roll off.

I would say they probably can track historical details better than back then. Or, ay depend on the carriers ways of handling historical records

8. 00smurf

00smurf Member
    None

Jan 8, 2010
    Beware when trying to do any changes on your account. Found out today if you even want to change equipment you have to call in to customer care as they have changed the website not allowing any changes to the line if you have unlimited. And then they woukd possibly charge you for the change and you'll lose your unlimited.

Rico ANDROID likes this.
  9. irishjoeyo

irishjoeyo Android Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010
    I moved out of state and kept the same number. Long distance is so dirt cheap nowadays, I see no reason to change it.

10. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    MD 20/20
    That is what I am doing now. Plus it is easier then telling everyone your new number.