• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Losing apps for no apparent reason...

Hey guys, I have an LG Optimus S about a month or 2 old completely stock. My problem is that today I powered off the phone and when I powered it back on I had lost roughly 7 or so apps, mainly games, on my phone. I believe all of them lost were on my SD card. The spaces where their icons were only had the green and white android symbol with what I suppose was the location of the file that used to be there listed under it. When I would click on the icon it said that the program was no longer installed on my phone. So, I decided to power off my phone again and restart it to see if maybe they might come back. Guess what! More of my programs were now deleted! And this time it actually deleted Antivirus Free, which was actually installed on the phones memory. I was thinking this was maybe a problem with the SD card at first, but would it be if something installed on my phone's memory was lost too? Luckily all the games were backed up on Amazon Appstore, but I need to find out what is doing this before I lose something that can't be replaced and just so it doesn't drive me crazy. I had all my files that COULD be moved to my SD card on my SD card to save space on my phone and had roughly 35 MB free space in my phone's memory. Any insight into this would be great. Thanks!

I read around the web that the LG Optimus' SD cards that are sent with the phone are crap. I'm almost certain it was the SD card that did it. I thought that Antivirus Free had been installed on the phone, but it was in fact on the SD card so there ya go. I'll be picking up another one when I get a chance. I think they say the cards made in Japan are the best. Actually a lot of people say that the cheap Kingstons are some of the best and they're made in Japan also.

Upvote 0
I have had a similar problem in that the icons would be replaced with the green Android icon and apps would say they are not installed. I am using the Go Launcher EX. What I have done in in the phone settings on the SD card & phone storage select Unmount SD card, wait for it to complete, and then select Mount SD card, wait for it to complete, and the apps would be there with the proper icons. I never have pulled the SD card during this. It only occurs to apps that have been moved to the SD card. I am using the stock SD card.I don't know if it is a SD problem or not but I have not had to reinstall an app so far. Just a thought.

Reactions: BIGbadJOHN82
Upvote 0
Same thing has happened to me several times on my Optimus V. I tried the unmount and mount of the SD card and my apps came back! Took a few seconds after the mount completed, but then there they were. Thanks for the tip. I ordered a 32GB SD card so the problem may go away when I replace the bundled 2GB card. I'll try to come back and update my post with my results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones