• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Losing charge while plugged in and using.

Long time lurker, first time poster... Lol (edit: Ok, apparently this was my 3rd post... lmao)

But seriously. I just got my Nexus 7 about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. My only issue is that if I have my N7 plugged in and I am using it that it still loses a charge even though it states that it is charging. I recently noticed it when playing Final Fantasy III when I lost 3 to 4% charge. I am charging fine when not using it and it is placed in standby mode. I am assuming that maybe I am using more power than it can drawing from the charger, but I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. Before my N7 I had a TF101 that died but I never had charge while using issues like I am experiencing now.

s2

I find the N7 charger takes about three hours to charge my N7 from near zero to 100%. However a combination of max screen brightness and a really CPU intensive game will flatten a fully charged battery in about three hours. So there are circumstances in which the charger could struggle to keep up.

Upvote 0
I find the N7 charger takes about three hours to charge my N7 from near zero to 100%. However a combination of max screen brightness and a really CPU intensive game will flatten a fully charged battery in about three hours. So there are circumstances in which the charger could struggle to keep up.

From what I can tell: no. The charger will always be charging the battery, albeit slower when on max brightness and max cpu load. From what I know the charger doesn't feed its max capacity when it's just charging, but the amps are upped when you use the nexus while charging.

Upvote 0
...Plus if it is hot it will limit the charger rate ...

Good point :)

The Li-Ion battery's temperature operating range is for charging 0C (+32F) to +45C (+113F).

So the battery it's the phone's most sensitive component.
Therefore battery won't be charged if its temperature is above +45C (+113F) because the phone's charge controlling will project the battery.
Therefore it'll shut down charging until the battery's temperature will meet again the charge operating range.

Harry

Upvote 0
Maybe a simply approach ... you'd chose a microUSB cable as short as possible and with thicker power wires because of the larger amount of amperage that charging and the used apps (at the same time) are needing.

Quality mircroUSB cables like these by DeLock have 24AWG for the power wires instead of 28AWG like the data wire.

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones