1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Losing Data Connection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by donnyb, Dec 22, 2011.

1. donnyb

donnyb Member

Is anyone else experiencing problems with maintaining a data connection with the Verizon SGN? I stream music at my desk at work all day but I keep dropping the data connection. I had an iphone since the release on Verizon and have not experience this problem. I also had an Razr for a week with no problems. The sim card has been replaced and I am starting to think that I may have a defective SGN.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Terrantula

Terrantula Lurker

Unfortunately, this seems to be a pretty common problem. It happens to me as well, although since the 4G outage yesterday, I don't think it has happened since <knocks on wood>.

Terrantula

3. donnyb

donnyb Member

Well I just lost data for about 5 minutes. Driving me nuts!

4. DxJustin

DxJustin Newbie

Here's what I put in one of the other signal issues post (mine does seem to drop out a lot):

I live in an area where there is no 4G at all so I keep mine in CDMA only. My past phones normally hover around -88 dBm while this one frequents -100 -105 dBm. About every 30-45 minutes the signal will drop to -120 dBm 99asu and the phone will not connect to data at all for about 5 minutes until the signal goes back up to -105 dBm. I also notice a weak wifi signal as well. Sitting less than 20 ft from my router shows 1 bar and sometimes just the little blip at the bottom. I haven't paid attention to the dBm for the wireless yet but I will next time.

Sitting side by side with my work iPhone, the nexus drops signal while iPhone still has full bars. And speed tests side by side normally result in much lower results with the nexus as well. iPhone will be getting anywhere from 700 kbps - 1 mbps and nexus will be 200 kbps - 400 kbps.

5. dhworph

dhworph Android Enthusiast

My GNex data connection has been somewhat temperamental, but getting more and more stable over time it seems (~36 hours now). I'm in a sort of borderline 3G/4G area, but both seem to work. Not yet bad enough to warrant a return though... fingers crossed.

So far, though, the radio on my BB Storm 9530 was less testy, although that radio/data-connection was pretty bad at times too.

6. donnyb

donnyb Member

Seem like its something to do with the switching between the 3G and 4G. I may just try to force 3G and see if I can keep the data connection.

7. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

8. DILands

DILands Android Expert

Yeah - so were some of the posts - I JUST got my 4G back, I had 1x this morning. (on a ThunderBolt).

9. donnyb

donnyb Member

With 3G only I have had not problems. I am in Sacramento generally a good area for both 3G and 4G.

10. donnyb

donnyb Member

Things are just fine when I force the SGN 3G. I really starting to believe that it is a software issue and have something to do with how 4G hands off to 3G and vice vera. Hopefully a software update fixes the problem.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews