1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Losing external SD card

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    Hi,

my 64gb external hard card is playing up on my Galaxy note 8 16gb. It started by not reading or seeing the card on and off, (ie through a file manager, or could not view photos in gallery that were installed on my 64gb external). Then my Galaxy finally decided I needed to format the card and resetting the device would not fix it.

Since then I have done a recovery on the card and formatted it with my galaxy and the problem has started again. After a while I cannot view any files on the external card. However in storage settings the card is visible with the option to unmount it. If I unmount it, the tablet resets and prompts me to format until eventually coming good again.

Please help as I am travelling and would like to use the 64gb ext card as a backup folder for my photos

ps I was using an otg device that I bought in Asia and problems started occurring around the same time as I bought it including battery issues which are now no longer. I have since brought a Samsung otg cable. (not sure if it's related)

Thanks in advance

Wesley

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) Unless someone REALLY screwed up, the OTG cable has nothing to do with anything. It's just a standard USB cable with 2 pins on the phone end connected together. There's no difference between the $2 one you buy on amazon and the $40 one you buy from Samsung. (Except that Samsung uses very cheap plugs - I have a few that fell apart from the stress of sitting on a shelf.)

2) The SD card. Is it a SanDisk or Samsung card? If not, it's probably a sub-par card that keeps losing cells and has to be reprogrammed (which formatting will do).

If it's a SanDisk card contact them. They don't like bad cards with their name on them. (I don't know Samsung's policy on replacing bad SD cards - I wouldn't buy one.) If it's an "also-ran" (Kingston or some other non-manufacturer) you can try asking for a replacement, but it may not be any better than what you have. SanDisk makes the chips that go into the card. (So does Samsung.) Everyone else just uses what they can get.

3. Righto123

Righto123 Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2014
    Male
    Electrician
    Hi Rukbat,

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah my card is a Kingston and brand new. I didn't realise that manufacturers were so careless with this sort of thing as people back up important information on their memory cards. I will endeavour to find a SanDisk or Samsung card. It will be pretty difficult to get anything from Kingston as I'm travelling around for a few months.

Also are you aware if there are many "fake" SanDisk cards out there as I will probably be purchasing in Asia?

Thanks Again

4. Righto123

Righto123 Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2014
    Male
    Electrician
    Also, I forgot to mention that it wasn't an otg cable, it was an otg 4 in 1 reader with electronics inside.