1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Losing Phone Contacts When Flashing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wreckoncile, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Wreckoncile

Wreckoncile Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Real Estate
    Los Angeles
    So I just flashed to Serendipity 5.11 after being on Cognition 3.04 for a while. Back when I flashed to Cognition (my first custom ROM), I had lost all the contacts I had on my phone that night, but the next morning when I woke up, I had all my contacts back. Well, this time around I made sure to export all my contacts to SIM first, but I'd still like the phone contacts back because the phone contacts have photos associated and all sorts of other useful features (ringtones, etc) that I can't customize from SIM card. I also lost my SMS and Call Log history when flashing. Is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to "restore missing apps with + system data" instead of just "missing apps and data"? Otherwise, I have to admit I'm really liking Serendipity with its Gingerbread elements and its extremely smooth handling.

Advertisement

2. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    First, DON'T restore system data.

Second, go to Contacts, press soft menu button, then import, then import from SIM card.

Did that work?

I don't deal with SMS, so can't help you there.

3. Wreckoncile

Wreckoncile Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Real Estate
    Los Angeles
    Well, I imported the contacts from the SIM card, but it doesn't have the profiles of my contacts saved as I had it prior to flashing (with photos, ringtones, and emails, etc included on the profile). Not a big deal, I can reapply all that stuff, just a bummer to lose all the call logs, old texts, and that kinda stuff.

4. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member
    None

5. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    As do I. I've had one or the other crap out during a restore and was very happy to have a Plan B.

6. Wreckoncile

Wreckoncile Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Real Estate
    Los Angeles
    I use Titanium Backup Pro, but for some reason it didn't backup my phone contacts. Not a huge deal since I was able to export from the SIM and customize profiles based on that, but still kind of a pain. I'll probably grab MyBackup next time I flash just to be safe.

7. Thassodar

Thassodar Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Texas
    I make sure most/all my contacts are synced to my gmail account and then just sync 'em up.