• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loss of data signal triggering reboot

eshayne

Lurker
Nov 12, 2009
I have a 39/09 Droid, purchased on 11/6. I've started noticing a problem just the last two weeks, where most days (though not every single day) when I drive into work, when I get to the office the Droid shows no data signal, though a reasonable (several bars, varies) voice signal. I do not have WiFi access at work, and one of the first things I tried when this first came up was to disable WiFi - which every time I try that when I'm in this state a. doesn't actually turn off the WiFi radio (at least, the Power Control widget shows it still on), and b. within 30 seconds causes the Droid to reboot itself. After the self-reboot, there's still no data signal. If I then press and hold the power button to manually shut it down and restart it, then everything's fine - until the next morning's trip to the office.

Other than this, I've had no problems at all - no freezes, crashes, or resets - the Droid's been remarkably stable. I also have only run into this issue when driving to work in the morning - no other time.

I do use WiFi at home, so one of the things I've tried is using Locale to automatically shut off the WiFi radio when I leave home. This seemed to help for a couple of days, then the problem set in again (I'm guessing coincidence).

Has anyone else run into anything like this?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones