• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Loss of Service (LOS) error and status of fix

According to "one guy" on sprint community forums, the fix is to be released...

October 19.

Sprint Community: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch

just spend 2 hours on phone tree.. customser service, retention, tech support, tech support adivsoroi, retention, and retention supervisor. in the end? October 19th is their internal note on a FIX for THIS problem. so if you have a hardware problem. go replace it. i am going now to get it check out, and if it fail again i guess it is time for iphone 4s as much as i hate it.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
you now.. just my opinion.. my phone worked great until the first Sunday night when they (samsung fixed Social HUB)... I have 6 email accounts a 2 push and 4 pop, 1 twitter and 1 facebook. To me its seems that the network connection issue may be too many concurrent network connections at once.... then phone gets stuck then. or if you try to change your network connection from wifi to 4g or turn off 4g just after you hit social hub all feeds. I have to reboot and then everything updates quickly. I've even tried to open a text only email and it hangs.. I think it has to do with Social HUB .. I may be wrong.. But I can produce the lockup every time. Some where its not stopping all the feeds and allowing for network connections to switch and getting jammed. again its what I have seen. PS. I to have rooted with stock kernel no ROMS.. Those other kernels caused the phone to slow down way too much for me even though they say over clocked to 1.6 ghz. I find stock kernel runs everything faster for some reason.

Upvote 0
If there were a firmware or kernel issue dealing with parallel operations this might make sense. There are known issues with the firmware and sound that kill games.

you now.. just my opinion.. my phone worked great until the first Sunday night when they (samsung fixed Social HUB)... I have 6 email accounts a 2 push and 4 pop, 1 twitter and 1 facebook. To me its seems that the network connection issue may be too many concurrent network connections at once.... then phone gets stuck then. or if you try to change your network connection from wifi to 4g or turn off 4g just after you hit social hub all feeds. I have to reboot and then everything updates quickly. I've even tried to open a text only email and it hangs.. I think it has to do with Social HUB .. I may be wrong.. But I can produce the lockup every time. Some where its not stopping all the feeds and allowing for network connections to switch and getting jammed. again its what I have seen. PS. I to have rooted with stock kernel no ROMS.. Those other kernels caused the phone to slow down way too much for me even though they say over clocked to 1.6 ghz. I find stock kernel runs everything faster for some reason.

Upvote 0

I don't use social hub at all, but I do have push email from 3 accounts which keeps the network busy enough. I haven't had an issue in several days, but im just you know, waiting for it to occur again at this point.

Upvote 0
I called Sprint last night. I got to level 2 because I had a ticket in already. The women tech and I say that because she really did appear to know her stuff. I was told the signal lost was due to network upgrades and changes leading to spreading wifi to area's to cover where voice drops. Also that Samsung has the TOUCH WIZ 4.0 set to monitor when network usage is demanded to help with power save. ie noticed that 4g goes to sleep while you read a web page then wakes when you click a link or refresh. I know this has been operating this way on EVO 4G we just didn't have the radio icon's indicate or update accurately. Any who... she told me to reset my data connection by pressing ##72786# then enter your MSL code then click okay to reset data. This will only reset and re-provision/activate your phone to Sprint. This will create a new profile on Sprints network and will give you any new network settings that may have changed in your area due to the secret upgrades already going on. Now I did that and updated my PRL and then Profile the phone asked me to reboot. And low and behold no more LOS.. The signal does appear to fall but jumps up pretty high when I wake the phone. But even when no bars showing I still get push email and can make phone calls now. Oh yeah!! :D

Upvote 0
in short Sprint level 2 told me to reset my data/provision/activation by ##72786# .. then enter your MSL then click okay to reset. The phone will reboot. After that I updated my PRL then Profile.. the phone asked me to reboot (first time I'd seen this after updating PRL and Profile) did that. Then I ##3282# enter my MSL then went to edit mulitmedia and set all proxy and settings to 0. This was to speed up 3G and 4G speeds. Now my 4g I get bursts of 15mb downloads and 1.5mb uploads. Oh yeah!! I'm happy .. keeping my Epic 4G Touch until June of next year when I have my last upgrade to a full on Quadcore LTE phone... no more LOS for me and pretty good 4G and 3G speeds now.. I live in San Antonio TX. I hope this helps some of you out.. it did for me!!:)

Reactions: pappabacon
Upvote 0
in short sprint level 2 told me to reset my data/provision/activation by ##72786# .. Then enter your msl then click okay to reset. the phone will reboot. After that i updated my prl then profile.. The phone asked me to reboot (first time i'd seen this after updating prl and profile) did that. Then i ##3282# enter my msl then went to edit mulitmedia and set all proxy and settings to 0. This was to speed up 3g and 4g speeds. Now my 4g i get bursts of 15mb downloads and 1.5mb uploads. Oh yeah!! I'm happy .. Keeping my epic 4g touch until june of next year when i have my last upgrade to a full on quadcore lte phone... No more los for me and pretty good 4g and 3g speeds now.. I live in san antonio tx. I hope this helps some of you out.. It did for me!!:)
how do you get the msl code

Upvote 0
I called Sprint last night. I got to level 2 because I had a ticket in already. The women tech and I say that because she really did appear to know her stuff. I was told the signal lost was due to network upgrades and changes leading to spreading wifi to area's to cover where voice drops. Also that Samsung has the TOUCH WIZ 4.0 set to monitor when network usage is demanded to help with power save. ie noticed that 4g goes to sleep while you read a web page then wakes when you click a link or refresh. I know this has been operating this way on EVO 4G we just didn't have the radio icon's indicate or update accurately. Any who... she told me to reset my data connection by pressing ##72786# then enter your MSL code then click okay to reset data. This will only reset and re-provision/activate your phone to Sprint. This will create a new profile on Sprints network and will give you any new network settings that may have changed in your area due to the secret upgrades already going on. Now I did that and updated my PRL and then Profile the phone asked me to reboot. And low and behold no more LOS.. The signal does appear to fall but jumps up pretty high when I wake the phone. But even when no bars showing I still get push email and can make phone calls now. Oh yeah!! :D

Did you not see the signal bars oscillate prior to this upgrade process? At home I often get 0 bars but when I send a test text it goes through then all of a sudden (just as you describe) get 3 or 4 bars. I had calls go to voicemail last week for a number of hours and sprint told me there was no network outage. I'm concerned about the whole seeing 0 bars at home with the radio going up and down which indicates some sort of sleep pattern. Is there anyway to keep the radio on?

In addition I see this same issue on my wifi signal. Very poor reception which is sometimes resolved by shutting it off then back on again. Its all very strange. Have you seen your wifi signal range/stability increase at all too?

Upvote 0
i had a problem with loss and battery life even before i rooted so i did a factory reset and still had the same issues then i went to this link and installed a
Stock EG30 Kernel *Pulled from a non-rooted phone.

How to Unroot Epic 4G Touch! | Epic 4G Touch Root
and everything has great for a week no problems with loss at all i dont know if this means anything but when i got my phone the market was already updated and when i used this stock i had the old market was there but it updated i left my phone fully charged over night for about 7 hours and when i woke up it was at 95%

Upvote 0
in short Sprint level 2 told me to reset my data/provision/activation by ##72786# .. then enter your MSL then click okay to reset. The phone will reboot. After that I updated my PRL then Profile.. the phone asked me to reboot (first time I'd seen this after updating PRL and Profile) did that. Then I ##3282# enter my MSL then went to edit mulitmedia and set all proxy and settings to 0. This was to speed up 3G and 4G speeds. Now my 4g I get bursts of 15mb downloads and 1.5mb uploads. Oh yeah!! I'm happy .. keeping my Epic 4G Touch until June of next year when I have my last upgrade to a full on Quadcore LTE phone... no more LOS for me and pretty good 4G and 3G speeds now.. I live in San Antonio TX. I hope this helps some of you out.. it did for me!!:)

Well I went through this today and it only took about 5 mins. I can't compare to what results I was getting before (i'm in a different location at present) but after following this I did get 11.3Mbit down/ 1.5Mbit up on 4g and 1.6Mbit down and 500k up on 3g. Nice speeds. I'll edit this post with results from home to see if helped with cell phone reception.

Upvote 0

Can this be done if I'm rooted?

Upvote 0
If this is determined to be a widespread problem, and this indeed is a fix, is this something Sprint can fix for us via an OTA update?

There is an OTA update coming for sure, but there is no date for it. The best I could find was oct 19 as per some random person's experience with a sprint tech.

As for whole ##72786# fix, I don't think its a fix, just a reactivation for the new build out. Not sure if it fixes LOS. Someone who has a severe case of it should give it a try.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I turn off 4g then turn on again to reset instead of rebooting.
Someone mentioned an outside bug? If so any recommendations on security software?

I've never had the problem, but have been following this thread with some interest. Any chance that this is somehow related to 4G data ... do people who see this problem have 4G turned on in general? I usually leave mine off to save battery (and because I don't see the 4G service much), and I've never experienced this. Just a shot in the dark ...

Rob

Upvote 0
I've never had the problem, but have been following this thread with some interest. Any chance that this is somehow related to 4G data ... do people who see this problem have 4G turned on in general? I usually leave mine off to save battery (and because I don't see the 4G service much), and I've never experienced this. Just a shot in the dark ...

Rob

I suffer from LOS with no 4G in my area.

Upvote 0
MANY people have tried to figure out this bug, but no one even devs at xda have figured it out. They believe its a compiled bug that only samsung can fix. Something to do with very hardware specific code that allows the radios to sleep (giving us great battery life) but not wake up properly when needed.

Upvote 0
Did you not see the signal bars oscillate prior to this upgrade process? At home I often get 0 bars but when I send a test text it goes through then all of a sudden (just as you describe) get 3 or 4 bars. I had calls go to voicemail last week for a number of hours and sprint told me there was no network outage. I'm concerned about the whole seeing 0 bars at home with the radio going up and down which indicates some sort of sleep pattern. Is there anyway to keep the radio on?

In addition I see this same issue on my wifi signal. Very poor reception which is sometimes resolved by shutting it off then back on again. Its all very strange. Have you seen your wifi signal range/stability increase at all too?

No sir.. My wifi has been working great. I have updated to netgear WNDR37AV router for video streaming in HD and signal issues before this phone arrived. Sprint will tell ya no network outages so avoid refund money's. But we all know you cant crossover network traffic when installing new equipment with out a hick-up and connectivity.

Remember to go into recovery and clean the cache then recharge fully and run with it. My phone now last 1.5 days of normal use. (bout 30 emails, 20 or so text's and reading from XDA, cnet, twitter, facebook, android forums and engadget)

works for me till an official update to 2.3.5 arrives which I hear is around the corner .. just make sure we all complain about everything to sprint or samsung on twitter/facebook.. as this may be the only update for this phone given Samsungs history of updating devices!!:cool:

Upvote 0
Can this be done if I'm rooted?

yes sorry for the delay in answering. .I'm driving to San Diego from San Antonio. I'm rooted and did this.. loven this damn phone.. I cant put it down. I just keeps on going.. just last evening we surfed 4 MACBOOK pro's on the wifi tether app on 4G in Arizona .. mannnnn it fly's.... I used Zedoex v1.3 to root with odin then flashed the stock kernel back .. loaded wifi tether from the market to use with 4G.. and havent looked back.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones