1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Lost 62% of battery in 1h40m

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by del2484, Mar 24, 2016.

1. del2484

del2484 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    My phone has been eating through battery recently so I looked at GSam and a few things popped out at me that I'm hoping folks can help with:
    • Kernel and Android System take up 29.8% of the discharge. Is that normal?
    • Display was 26% while OFF. That seems high to me.
    • The battery at 93 degrees is certainly high (it can get up to 100) but I'm guessing that's a symptom of whatever is causing the first two.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: This is a Galaxy S6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement

#1 del2484, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    those percentages are not really out of line, when the phone is idle, the OS will be the major use of power.

you don't say what phone, or the age of the battery.
    have you restarted the phone recently? that is the 1st thing you want to do.

I have a Samsung Note 4, this screenshot came from it just now.... the phone has been on and off the Qi wireless charger most of the day, I have been "on air" if you will on several phone calls with over 4 hours of talk time....

this is not GSAM, it is the settings/battery display in the phone.

I am showing you this just to let you see, that when the phone is idle, the OS is the #1 user of power.... the phone has not been used since it was topped off.

You have had the screen on for 50 minutes out of the 1-1/2 hour. I don't know what your expectations are, but that is the most power hungry part of the phone..... I keep my screen OFF even when talking on it..... I do NOT play games period..... I use the phone, do what I need, and then I shut that screen off fast.

I also keep DATA turned OFF all the time...... when at home, MacroDroid turns on WiFi when the screen is awake.... and it turns WiFi off when the screen is dark. The only time DATA is ever turned of is if I am away from home, and I have a need to access the internet.... and then it gets turned off again 'now'.

Battery Use.png

#2 AZgl1500, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. del2484

None

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. While I certainly don't expect my battery to be at 90% after 1h40m with the screen on half the time, 38% seems like a major drop. It's an S6 and 10 months old. I restart maybe once a week but that only helps briefly. I could do an FDR but it's a pain to back everything up so just wondering if there was a quicker fix or another way to identify abnormal power hogs.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    If the phone has been in your pocket or you've been handling it a lot, 93F might not be too high, as it could be close to body temp, i.e. 98.6F.

5. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    i don't think an FDR is the thing to do.
    during that 50 minutes of screen time, what activities were you doing?
    you have not given enough info to give a good judgment yet.

if for instance, during that 50 minutes, you were trying to use the Internet and the cell site was very weak, the phone's Tx power has to be ramped up to near max power just so the cell site can "hear your phone". that uses a lot of battery power...

if you are using a mapping program, the screen is really busy, and the mapping is contantly redrawing, and pulling down a lot of data.. and the GPS is ON full time..... that uses a lot of battery power, fast.

when I am away from home, the wife is shopping at "Home Store" which I detest, I surf the Internet inside the store, this causes the cell sites to be at reduced strength. we are usually in the store for at least an hour, maybe more. during that time, the battery on my Note 4 will drop 40 to 50 percent.

that is no different that what you are complaining about.
    I don't think you have a "problem", I think it is more about how you are using the phone.

6. del2484

None

Nov 19, 2009
    I was at the gym where I am connected to WiFi. Just checking Facebook, ESPN, Twitter between sets, stuff like that. Definitely no use of GPS and it wasn't struggling to find reception. Even the Spotify station I was listening to was offline (downloaded onto my phone) and not using WiFi.

7. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Which is just exactly what I am doing while I sit on my duff and the wife cruises thru the shopping malls.

I suggest there is nothing wrong with your phone or battery... and I was not using GPS either, sitting inside the mall with a concrete ceiling on it.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

How bright is your screen? From what I have seen around the internet, battery life tests are usually done at 50% brightness. Some do it lower. I've seen battery life tests that do it at lowest available brightness, hence the ratings you see on the internet are skewed.

9. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
  10. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste
    None

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Your discharge through wifi is high. (check the volume of data transferred) Its probably Facebook - for battery saving its best to use Facebook in a web browser rather than use the app.

AZgl1500 and KOLIO like this.
  11. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Yes, all Social Apps are horrible battery mongers.
    I have uninstalled all of them, or with Package Disabler have turned them OFF.

I also use AutoBrightness, and yup, in the daylight, it cranks it right up there. but that is the price we pay for living long enough that our eyes start to fade away.

* Package Disabler Pro for Samsung

girolez and KOLIO like this.