1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Lost all Gallery photos (thousands)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by roux, Jul 11, 2017.

1. roux

roux Lurker

I just lost all my Gallery photos (thousands) when I was trying to upload photos to an app. The Gallery photos are the the main ones that you take with the phone - they may also be known as the Camera photos. They're not the screenshots or the Instagram or Downloaded photos - I still have those. I was trying to upload some photos to a Android app when every single one of my Gallery photos disappeared. I looked for them everywhere in my phone, but they weren't there. I don't have them saved in Google Photos, either.

I downloaded some photo recovery Android apps, but they don't have the Gallery photos. I also tried downloading some photo recovery apps for Mac, but I couldn't get them to download/install. Also I think they cost alot, like $49 for us to be able to make full use of them.

What should I do? They're very important photos, and I lost so many of them.

EDIT: Thanks for your replies. I contacted Samsung, and they helped resolve my problem. Turns out, I had taken out the SD card, and didn't re-insert it all the way. That's why my phone wasn't reading the Gallery photos, which were all on the SD card.

#1 roux, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Leon Marco

Leon Marco Well-Known Member

What Android apps have you tried?

Daniel Fernandes and Phalon4 like this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Instead of using the gallery app, have you tried using a file explorer for Android? They may be in a folder named DCIM or Camera....

tube517 likes this.
  4. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast

Try checking your device DCIM\FOLDER and __chartbooster__\ FOLDER in your device Internal memory files. From what you're describing, you're just coping photos and moving them from one place to another. There should still be a set of images still in your device.

5. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast

Try going to settings -> storage -> images and look for a folder like DCIM or Camera. Your gallery might just not detecting the images as that sometimes happens. If that is not the case then they might be totally lost with the only hope of recovery is shelling cash to a "Data recovery" service and pray they can actually retrieve it, I know it works on PC drives but I haven't experience it or know someone who did actually recover his files on an Android phone.

6. Leon Marco

It does work. Apps like Root digger help in recovering files in Android

prasunleena likes this.
  7. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Seems odd that no one has asked what app you were trying to move the photos to.
    They could be stuck in a "no media" file, still on the device.

8. Leon Marco

<font color ='#9e9e9e'>PitCarver </font>
    <font color ='#9e9e9e'>Seems odd that no one has asked what app you were trying to move the photos to. </font>
    <font color ='#9e9e9e'>They could be stuck in a 'no media' file, still on the device. </font>

That is exactly what I was thinking a second ago. I was recalling how in my friend could not see his photos after he had moved some of them to a folder with a .nomedia and was scared for a week as to why he could not see them in the gallery. I hope the thread starter responds in some way at the earliest to solve his problem.

PitCarver likes this.

Samsung Galaxy J3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J3 release date was June 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 7570 Quad processor, and 2600mAh battery.

June 2018
Release Date
Reviews