• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lost Calendar reminder

You were entering text in an input box and then exited before saving: why would you expect there to be a way of recovering stuff that was never saved?

Just a warning: if you delete files in android they are gone. There's no system waste/recycle bin, delete means delete. I thought I should mention this since it's sort of related and it's more common to assume that file deletion is reversible.

As for the app "just closing itself", that could be an app crash or an accidental button press (e.g. inadvertently giving a long press to the back button while typing). In my experience app crashes are very rare, but I don't know what phone or what calendar app you are using. It used to be that when an app crashed you would get a message on the screen, but one of the many bad ways Google have followed Apple is in removing such messages (there used to be a perception that apps crashed more often on android than iOS, when in fact the reverse was true. But the reason was that android told you the app had crashed, while iOS just silently returned you to the home screen, and many people didn't realise that this meant the app had crashed. And now Android does the same, so you can't tell whether it crashed or you accidentally closed it).

Upvote 0
You were entering text in an input box and then exited before saving: why would you expect there to be a way of recovering stuff that was never saved?

Just a warning: if you delete files in android they are gone. There's no system waste/recycle bin, delete means delete. I thought I should mention this since it's sort of related and it's more common to assume that file deletion is reversible.

As for the app "just closing itself", that could be an app crash or an accidental button press (e.g. inadvertently giving a long press to the back button while typing). In my experience app crashes are very rare, but I don't know what phone or what calendar app you are using. It used to be that when an app crashed you would get a message on the screen, but one of the many bad ways Google have followed Apple is in removing such messages (there used to be a perception that apps crashed more often on android than iOS, when in fact the reverse was true. But the reason was that android told you the app had crashed, while iOS just silently returned you to the home screen, and many people didn't realise that this meant the app had crashed. And now Android does the same, so you can't tell whether it crashed or you accidentally closed it).

Yes, I understand what you'r saying but you know no one writtes a reminder and ends It before he is finished so app did crash.
I'll try some program for retrieving data, may be I'll get something ;)
Thank You very much!

Upvote 0
Maybe they're a longtime *nix user, and knows that programs, like vi, save recoverable temp files in case of a crash... :thinking:

...or not. :D

Upvote 0
Maybe, though you could also say that a longtime Word user might expect "autosave" to have kept a partial copy.

I guess that over the last 40 years I've enough experience of systems that don't save unless you explicitly tell them to do so that I never expect anything. Strong expectations about how things will behave are usually a consequence of narrow experience. I am, both at heart and professionally, an empiricist: to hell with the theory or any preconception, let's look at what actually happens.

That's a serious point I frequently make to students, both undergraduate and postgraduate: the most dangerous assumptions are the ones that seem so natural and obvious to you that you don't actually realise that you are making assumptions.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Maybe, though you could also say that a longtime Word user might expect "autosave" to have kept a partial copy.
Ha ha, you know I wouldn't know! :)
I guess that over the last 40 years I've enough experience of systems that don't save unless you explicitly tell them to do so that I never expect anything.
I'm pretty much the same way. I expect a computer/device/program to do what I tell it--nothing more, nothing less.

So, for example, the whole idiot-based 'recycle bin' concept from window$ is foreign to me. When I delete something, I want it well and truly gone. :eek: Some of my Android apps have recycle bins. As a user-selectable option. Which I disable immediately.

Yet as a very old UNIX user, I know that, as in my vi example, *nix can create temporary files, which are recoverable if you're educated about them. First you have to know that they exist, then where they're stored and how they're named, then whether they'll survive a reboot, etc. All of which may depend on how you've configured things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones