• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lost contacts when outside service area

jdaum

Lurker
May 19, 2010
Moto DROID Version 2.1-Update1/Verizon.

I was recently traveling in Canada where I had no G3 service to sync my contacts with my gmail account. I was turning my phone off each night. On the third morning when I turned my phone on, ALL my contacts were gone. Think about that... I had no phone numbers... for the rest of my visit in Canada, I was dead in the water! When I returned to the US and the Verizon service area, all my contacts came back via sync.

It seems like the contacts aren't actually stored in the phone, but rather accessed (synced) from the configured gmail account. Is there a way to prevent this loss of the contact list when in an area with no service?

I have since exported my contacts to the SD card, but in testing how it would import them back in, it started duplicating all my contacts until I stopped it (nice!).

There's got to be a way to ensure that contacts will persist when outside the service area.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones