1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Lost Droid; all 'old' photos prepopulated to replacement Droid (no SIM), where were they stored?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lostphone!, May 31, 2011.

1. lostphone!

lostphone! Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Hi Everyone! I am not sure where to start as the reps in 3 Verizon stores can't seem to explain my "phenomenon".

I lost my Droid (never recovered); ALL OF THE PHOTOS STORED TO MY PREVIOUS DEVICE WERE UNEXPLAINABLY RECOVERED with the purchase of a new replacement droid (no SIM card or anything)... and the photos uploaded! when i turned the device on...

How were my photos prepopulated to the new Droid (no SIM card or program that I know of was installed on the device except gmail which synced my contacts).

WHERE were the photos stored? How can I access them again?

The reason I ask is that my most recent Droid was stolen. I went to Verizon to see if they could help me as the photos were the most importnat component and I did not back them up (that I know of) and I have since made the switch to a different carrier and device (mistake?!).

If I bought another Droid do I have a chance at getting these images back? i would happily pay to have someone figure out a way to recover these pictures!

Thanks so much for any insight and expertise you may be able to provide.

Respectfully,
    Robin

Advertisement

2. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    Photos taken with the camera are stored in the DCIM folder on the root of your SD card. In order for them to have populated on your new device, they had to have been backed up to some sort of cloud service like Lookout Mobile Security. I'm not sure if Mototrola offers this sort of back-up service. All your photos should show up in the gallery app but if you want a more in depth search, you can always use a file manager like Astro File Manager.

Also welcome to the forums and be sure to check out the Motorola Droid - Android Forums for any device specific questions.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You may have had your photos set to sync to Picassa, so that as soon as you registered the new phone with that same Gmail account, they became available to you again.

The only other options would be other cloud-based locations, but you'd have to sign into them first to have access, or a local backup copy which would have to be restored. Now, if you had an old SD card you never erased and stuck that in the new phone, it might seem like you had your photos back when in fact you only had old photos.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, one more thought ... WELCOME!