1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Lost Hero's Contacts + Browser Bookmarks -- Recoverable?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by section30, Sep 27, 2011.

1. section30

section30 Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Did a search but no results...............

Phone was in pocket, turned on but when it went to be used it displayed the "triangle with exclamation point" and a phone image. The Hero would not respond at all (except getting the error message) and then it said to press the track ball to reboot. I am assuming that the pocket somehow pressed the reboot button sequence?

Well, the person rebooted and the phone now works but all contacts and stock browser bookmarks are gone; it's sorta like a new phone. Is there any way to recover these, especially the contacts (are they anywhere on the SD card?)? For some reason Google did not back up but that could have been a function of the sharing choice selected on the phone's options?

Current o/s is the 1.5 version. I guess if all is lost this is probably a good reason to go to the Sprint store for the latest version.....2.2.xxx?

Thanks,

C

Advertisement

2. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Honolulu
    You Contacts SHOULD be stoored with google.
    Try resyncing them in the settings > Sync > Google > Contacts

and yes......please upgrade from 1.5

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Thread moved to the troubleshooting section. It sounds like you accidentally factory reset your Sprint HTC Hero while it was in your pocket.

Unfortunately, the bookmarks are likely lost, but as MahaloCat said, the contacts should come back if you sign back into your Google account. I would recommend updating from Android 1.5 as well.

4. section30

section30 Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for your replies. If the info is NOT on Google, lesson learned; make sure the phone is set up for that -- it's not automatic unless you enable it!

OTOH, I lost MY Hero last week (stolen maybe) on a flight in Africa. Good luck to whoever has it because it's a useless piece of junk in most countries outside of USA (as a phone)....lol. If it doesn't show up soon......hello Photon!

5. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Well, it could still be a useful Wi-Fi enabled Internet device no matter what country you are in. I still use mine for that purpose, although my main handset is a Sprint HTC EVO 3D now. :)

As for the contacts not getting saved in your Google account, that is a shame. The best way to remedy that, I believe, is to export them to your microSD card, then take that exported file and import them directly into your GMail account on your computer. I think it would be best to erase all contacts on the handset first and then sync to your Google account. The contacts should appear again and be all synced up. ;)

6. section30

section30 Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    Interesting situation but the contacts DID finally show up on Google, so all was not lost! Don't know why, etc., but maybe the phone, after the reset/reboot, finally updated the particular account.................:)

Tags: