1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Lost music and photos

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by lulu56, Dec 18, 2013.

1. lulu56

lulu56 Lurker

Hi wondering if anyone can help me? I've got a Galaxy Ace phone and I've been very happy with it. My problem is I wanted to add another song to my music list. I opened up kies on my pc connected the phone via USB cable. I found the song that I wanted to add and assumed it was transferring to my phone only when I unplugged the cable I found I'd lost all of my music and my photos (mainly all my grandchildren) including my latest granddaughter 2weeks old. Shock! Horror! was really upset then.
    I've tried everything I can think of. My son suggested I download the music straight onto the sd card (via adapter). Once again I tried it and there was nothing. I loaded the card back onto pc to check and the music was showing up. I put the sd back into the phone and still nothing. :mad: I sat last night going through the phone and I came across a folder (my files) opened it up and hey presto my music. Trouble is I've tried to copy and paste music back to main post as I like to use the music for ringtones and texts etc but it won't move. Any ideas anyone? APOLOGIES if it sounds all gobbledygook :eek: but I know what I mean.
    Thank you. :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Hope this helps you get back on track and Welcome to the forums

1. Get Airdroid this works with your wifi and web browser lets you transfer files to and from the phone and computer. All without the need for a cord.

2. Next start doing backups so you don't loose those precious moments. Start here with A Backup Routine for us All. This is Android Forums very own utility :)

3. What file explorer are you using to try to move/copy the files over to the folders you wish them to be at? One of the most popular ones is ES File Explorer. People have sworn by this file manager.

4. My phone is rooted and I have my ringtones on the /system partition so I'm not sure why you can't copy and paste to your ringtone folder on the sdcard but I think my first action would be to check the card and make sure the file system isn't screwy on it. To do so simply put your SDCARD back into the computer and go to the run command box at the command type cmd and press enter. At the command prompt type:
    chkdsk x: /f
    replace x with the actual drive letter. If everything checks out then your card should be good to go if it fixes the file structure maybe you can get your pictures back.

3. lulu56

lulu56 Lurker

Thanks ever so much for trying to help me. I've installed the apps onto my phone as you suggested but, I haven,t got a clue how they work.
    Please forgive the delay in answering your reply to me but lots onn my mind at mo.
    Thanks again.
    Lulu56

4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Don't sweat it really any questions you have just feel free to ask and we will help you anyway we can :) after all that is why we are here.

Ok So Airdroid is a WiFi File Manager that allows you to transfer files between computer and phone with out the need for a wire. This uses your wireless internet to work. Once you learn how to use it Its really a valuable tool.

A Backup Routine for us all is a script we wrote to help backup the contents of both the internal sdcard and the external sdcard. It takes a little setting up but once its setup then its just a matter of clicking the script while the phone is plugged in to the computer and just letting it do it thing.

Es File Explore is actually a very powerful file manager for the phone. It will allow you to manage files with little effort. You can also set it up to be on your home network and can transfer files to and from the computer with that as well.

So that is a basic break down of the apps and script I introduced to you. Any questions feel free to ask If I don't know the answer I'll search for it :)

Mikestony and dustwun77 like this.
  5. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

Just adding this. My fear now would be file corruption. So I do hope that backups were made. If anything, I would try to pull the files out of the SD card into the computer and then testing them to make sure they are fine. Also avoid using the SD card until you are 100% sure that all the files are backed up and working properly.

dustwun77 and argedion like this.
  6. lulu56

lulu56 Lurker

Thanks ever so much for your replies. I've tried with the Airdroid and the ES File Explorer. I get them up on my PC but nothing happens. It doesn't matter where I click etc nothing comes up, just the information screens
    My problem started when I wanted to add a song I liked to my music file on my phone. When - I thought it was complete I found I'd lost most of my photoes, and my music had been moved to a music file on the sd card. I used the songs as my ringtone/notification tone. I can't use them as ringtones from the sd card and I can't move the music back to the music file file on my phone.
    I was told to put the music straight on to the sd card which - I now realise is okay if you just want to listen to it but impossible (for me) use the music for ringtones etc.
    Forgive me for sounding like an idiot like I said before I've a lot on my mind. But as far as the problem goes I'm just drawing a blank all the time.
    Thanks for yours or anybody elses help.

argedion likes this.
  7. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Did you run the disk check on the SDCARD? if so what were the results?

8. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

hey there.

Reading this, i was just wondering if you had managed to make backups of your pictures on to your computer yet?

That would seem to me to be the matter of first importance.
    Are they on your sd card, or can you move them there easily? If so, do you you have a card reader you can plug the card into your pc with and make a complete backup there first thing?

After that, maybe we can figure out how to get the rest of it figured out.