1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Lost my 3D pictures!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by J.R., Sep 22, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Firefighter
    Gettysburg, PA
    I have been trying to organize my photos by connecting my Evo to my Macbook and then adding folders (albums) and moving the pictures appropriately. When I pull up the finder window to look at the photos, all of the 3D pics don't have a thumbnail of the photo, just a gray window with the file name under it. I discovered that, to see the photo, I right click on the thumbnail and click "quick look" and I can see the picture in a preview window. I would do this for each 3D picture I took and then rename the file with whatever the picture it ("Beer at beach", for example). Then I could move the pictures into the appropriate album that I made.

Well, after going through all that, when I tried to look at the pictures on the phone, all the 3d pictures that were renamed have vanished. Just hooked my phone back up to my mac and found that the pics are still there on the card, so I guess by removing the .mpo they are unrecognizable by the phone. But I've renamed a bunch of 2D pics and I'm pretty sure they don't have the .jpg file extension on them? So I'm just looking for a bit of info about how this works. Do I have to go back and put .mpo on all the 3D shots?

Advertisement

2. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    perhaps you answered your own question. why not do a test and add the extension to a handful of photos and see if it works or not.

Matlock likes this.
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    you should never remove/rename extensions to filenames unless you know exactly what you're doing. And I hate operating systems that hide extensions because it thinks people are too dumb to understand them. The hidden extensions cause more problems in the end.

Put your file extensions back. Sometimes, even this won't help because the OS tries to be smart again and overwrites the metadata in the file with its own crap. If the phone needs that old metadata to determine if the file is 3D or not, you are SOL.

marctronixx likes this.
Tags: