• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lost my 4g!!!

Lyvewire

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2010
DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO CONFIRM IF 4G IS GONE? MY MOST RECENT ROMS WERE MYN5 THEN MIK4.4. AT SOME POINT I NOTICED THE ATTENNA WOULD COME ON AND SAY 4G AVAILABLE BUT THE 4g ICON DIDNT. I READ IN ANOTHER FORUM YOU CAN TRY FLASHING TO A OLDER ROM WHICH I DID, (I'M ON A BAKED 1.7 ROM FROM LAST YR WHEN MY 4G WORKED) AND ITS DOIN THE SAME THING 4G AVAILABLE BUT WON'T COME ON.

I DOWNLOADED TERMINAL EMULATOR, (as Frenchie714,ocnbrze, and akazabam recommended on a different post)

typed "su" (without quotes), then entered. then "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0" and its saying nothing found.

Does anyone know of official way to get it back and more importantly how to confirm its really gone. The emulator is not doing it for me.

Any help is appreciated!!

What is the specific error you're getting in the terminal? Does it say something about grep not found? If so, you'll need to install busybox from the market. Once that is done (or if it wasn't the issue to begin with), you can still try the grep command from the terminal, or use this. We can take it from there if you verify your keys are in tact. If you've indeed lost them, you'll need to restore a nandroid backup that backed up your wimax partition. If you don't have one, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Reactions: Lyvewire
Upvote 0
what is the specific error you're getting in the terminal? Does it say something about grep not found? If so, you'll need to install busybox from the market. Once that is done (or if it wasn't the issue to begin with), you can still try the grep command from the terminal, or use this. We can take it from there if you verify your keys are in tact. If you've indeed lost them, you'll need to restore a nandroid backup that backed up your wimax partition. If you don't have one, i'm afraid you're out of luck.

snap20110207_141801.png

wow its gone!! I have some other backup roms.hopefully i'll find it once that included my wimax.

That application is worth gold. I barely use the 4g so i could of overlooked it for some time

thanks again akazabam!!

Upvote 0
Open ROM manager. What version of Clockwork does it tell you that you have? Have you ever updated CW (recently)? Just to make sure you have what it says (it can be off sometimes), use the option in ROM manager to reboot into recovery. It will say at the top what version it is. Reboot normally after that. If you have 2.5.0.1, I'm afraid you have not wimax backup. If you have 2.6.0.1 or 3.0.0.x, you have been backing up wimax, but, again, it depends on:

a) How long you've had that version
b) How long ago you lost your keys.

Upvote 0
Open ROM manager. What version of Clockwork does it tell you that you have? Have you ever updated CW (recently)? Just to make sure you have what it says (it can be off sometimes), use the option in ROM manager to reboot into recovery. It will say at the top what version it is. Reboot normally after that. If you have 2.5.0.1, I'm afraid you have not wimax backup. If you have 2.6.0.1 or 3.0.0.x, you have been backing up wimax, but, again, it depends on:

a) How long you've had that version
b) How long ago you lost your keys.

You hit the nail on the head. The version I was using when I backedup Baked1.7 was old 2.5.0.1 versions. I did quite a few ROMS though since then so it makes since why I havent seen my 4G back since using the old rom. I'm goin to go thru all my roms which were Myn4 and Mik 4.4 and I believe a few other and will keep using that app you showed me about. I'm guess once I find it I can go back to older 1.7 Baked then backup with 3.0 Rom Manager to keep 4G in tact?

Upvote 0
If you find a nandroid backup that has 4g working, I'd recommend you then flash whatever ROM you want, but don't restore any previous nandroid backups. Once you have the new ROM flashed, make a nandroid backup from that, and just write off your old backups (that you know didn't backup wimax correctly), and take it from there.

I have quite a few different MYN4's and 1Myn5. I can see on my card there's a wimax in folder but this isnt the key because its still saying no key per that app you sent. When I try to load Myns files its not working (white screen) and when I try to downgrade Wimax radio and PRL its skipping back to main menu instead of saying reboot. Noticed the new ROM letters are orange now? I'm guessing I need to downgrade to a older Rom Manager recovery

Upvote 0
I have quite a few different MYN4's and 1Myn5. I can see on my card there's a wimax in folder but this isnt the key because its still saying no key per that app you sent. When I try to load Myns files its not working (white screen) and when I try to downgrade Wimax radio and PRL its skipping back to main menu instead of saying reboot. Noticed the new ROM letters are orange now? I'm guessing I need to downgrade to a older Rom Manager recovery

Just because there is a wimax.img doesn't mean your keys are there. If you want to know if you have your RSA keys in a particular nandroid backup, you must open the terminal, then use cd to go to the directory where the img files are, then type this:

grep RSA wimax.img

If it comes back with the expected output (same as what grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0 should be), then the nandroid backup should fix it. If not, don't even both trying. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I forgot it could be done.

As for your radios, downgrading wimax shouldn't help anything, and I assume you mean PRI, not PRL. Anyway, did you upgrade your radios recently? If so, you're probably trying to restore a nandroid backup from before then. The easiest thing to do is to restore the nandroid backup, downgrade PRI to 1.77 (are you saying that's not working? It's not that vital if you're just trying to get your keys. The system will be unstable, but it should boot), restore your nandroid, then flash a custom kernel in the same recovery session. That should at least make it bootable.

Upvote 0
Just because there is a wimax.img doesn't mean your keys are there. If you want to know if you have your RSA keys in a particular nandroid backup, you must open the terminal, then use cd to go to the directory where the img files are, then type this:

grep RSA wimax.img

If it comes back with the expected output (same as what grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0 should be), then the nandroid backup should fix it. If not, don't even both trying. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I forgot it could be done.

As for your radios, downgrading wimax shouldn't help anything, and I assume you mean PRI, not PRL. Anyway, did you upgrade your radios recently? If so, you're probably trying to restore a nandroid backup from before then. The easiest thing to do is to restore the nandroid backup, downgrade PRI to 1.77 (are you saying that's not working? It's not that vital if you're just trying to get your keys. The system will be unstable, but it should boot), restore your nandroid, then flash a custom kernel in the same recovery session. That should at least make it bootable.

"you must open the terminal, then use cd to go to the directory where the img files are, then type this:

grep RSA wimax.img"

When you say terminal what does that mean and what does cd stand for? FYI I have my roms backed up on a pc.

I figured out my updated ROM manager 3.0.07 (with the orange letters wouldnt allow me to flash lastest Wimax combo w/prl to downgrade back to MYN4 rom I had. I had to go back to Rom Manager version 2.5 then flashed latest radio my Baked 1.7 rom had old radios and old Evo build which Myn 4 isnt compatible with. I have about 9 roms, (mostly Myn) I need to check. So your method would definetely help save me some time.

Thanks a ton! I hope I have it. This is fustrating..

Upvote 0
Sorry, yeah, just do this. Copy a wimax.img from a nandroid backup to the root of your sdcard. Just remember which backup you got it from (obviously). Then open the terminal emulator. Just search for it in the market if you don't have it. Once it's open type these commands:

cd /sdcard
grep RSA wimax.img

Once again, if you don't have busybox, install it from the market. I would think you do, as you'd need it for the wimax key checker. If it returns with those last two lines you're looking for, then you can use the backup that you got that wimax.img from. These are the two lines you want to see at the end:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

cd stands for change directory, by the way.

Also, as to your ROM manager issues, I'm glad you got it figured out. I suggest you start using recovery directly instead of ROM manager, though. It will help you avoid weird issues like that. It's kind of buggy sometimes.

Upvote 0
I'm going to try this right now. If I had 9 different wimax.img's to try is there a way I can rename them so I'll know which is which or should I do this the slow way, (put 1 in at a time)

Your right this rom manager has been buggy. I just read that the combo radio pack on xda messed up someone else's 4g as well..I'm pissed.

I typed in (no quotes) "cd /sdcard" right next to the dollar signs and it says cd/sdcard not found
typed in
"grep RSA wimax.img" says permission denied

Am I missing something??

Upvote 0
I'm going to try this right now. If I had 9 different wimax.img's to try is there a way I can rename them so I'll know which is which or should I do this the slow way, (put 1 in at a time)

Your right this rom manager has been buggy. I just read that the combo radio pack on xda messed up someone else's 4g as well..I'm pissed.

I typed in (no quotes) "cd /sdcard" right next to the dollar signs and it says cd/sdcard not found
typed in
"grep RSA wimax.img" says permission denied

Am I missing something??

1) Yes, you can rename them so you can copy them all over at once, BUT do not copy them back. Use the wimax.img that's already in the nandroid directory, and do not tamper with the one you're actually going to restore. You can make a copy and rename it all you want.

2) Some people have had trouble with the combo update, others haven't. I used the combo update, and I was fine. Of course, use either CW 2.6.0.1+ or any RA version from now on when messing with radio versions. You want to make sure you have a wimax backup.

3) Well, on the first command, it sounds like you forgot to put a space between cd and /sdcard. For the second one, that's my fault. You need to type su, first, then run the grep command.

Upvote 0
1) Yes, you can rename them so you can copy them all over at once, BUT do not copy them back. Use the wimax.img that's already in the nandroid directory, and do not tamper with the one you're actually going to restore. You can make a copy and rename it all you want.

2) Some people have had trouble with the combo update, others haven't. I used the combo update, and I was fine. Of course, use either CW 2.6.0.1+ or any RA version from now on when messing with radio versions. You want to make sure you have a wimax backup.

3) Well, on the first command, it sounds like you forgot to put a space between cd and /sdcard. For the second one, that's my fault. You need to type su, first, then run the grep command.

Hey I tried those exact commands. I couldnt get it to work and gave up. was searching everywhere (XDA,PPC) and stumbled across for a few threads same issues. I guess the search begins. Appreciate all ya help. I'm starting to think its time to unroot and get a new phone. No sense paying that $10 fee for something I dont have

Upvote 0
I'll tell you what, just as a quick test to see why you can't get the commands to work, open the terminal emulator and type the word busybox, then enter. If it gives you a list of commands, then you're typing the grep command wrong somehow. If it just says not found, then you don't have busybox installed properly.

Either way, if you don't have any backups with your wimax RSA keys, then you're only option is a new phone. That being said, Sprint is going to charge $10 extra for all smartphones, not just 4g ones, so we're not really paying that extra money for 4g. Granted, if you're actually going to use 4g, you should get it fixed.

Upvote 0
I'm glad suggested that. Before I read your post I had been flashing older ROMS I had on my card. Last Rom I flashed wouldnt connect to 3G internet, Wifi, or 4G of course. I had to use Rom Manager 2.5.0.7 to get back to Baked1.7 of course with missing WiMax.Img.I had installed term emulator from earlier before I backed up and it wasnt allowing the keyboard to come up. Went to market and downloaded it without removing it. Now its working..

Bottom line is older version of rom manager must have not cleared the data. I typed in busy box and got this snap20110207_224750.png

I guess I shrunk it too small.The original from shootme was too big. Basically it was a whole lot of words that didnt make any sense

Upvote 0
Haha, well, I can't read it, but know what it says. Now that you've gotten there, type "su" without quotes to get root in the terminal (prompt changes from $ to #), then you can run:

grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

to check if you have your keys in your ROM, or

grep RSA wimax.img

to check if a wimax.img from a nandroid backup has your wimax keys.

Upvote 0
Haha, well, I can't read it, but know what it says. Now that you've gotten there, type "su" without quotes to get root in the terminal (prompt changes from $ to #), then you can run:

grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

to check if you have your keys in your ROM, or

grep RSA wimax.img

to check if a wimax.img from a nandroid backup has your wimax keys.

I renamed them for example as "Myn5cleanwimax.HT05GHL00534.img"<Hopefully this wasnt the problem)?

This is what I got after I moved all 9 wimax.img files from roms to root of card.

Typed "
grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0" Permission Denied

Typed
grep RSA wimax.img No such file or directory

Whatever this means it cant be good right? I'm so pissed for all the other ROMS I deleted off my phone for taking up space. I'm guessing I'm going to have to unroot it and bring it to Sprint. I have TEP and Assurion. I'm guessing when I show them the 4G is broke they'll send me a new one or refurbished..Just sucks because I had this MIS guy at my job root mine because rooting myself was driving me nuts..Hope the new way I seen on youtube (minus using a pc) is as simple as it looks..

You been a big help. I appreciate it!

Upvote 0
For the first command, you need to type su, first, so in order, type these commands:

su
grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

Then to search for RSA in the wimax.img, you need to replace wimax.img with whatever you named the file. So, using your example, do these steps (assuming the img file is on the top level of your sdcard)

su (might not be necessary, but what the heck)
cd /sdcard
grep RSA Myn5cleanwimax.HT05GHL00534.img

Upvote 0
For the first command, you need to type su, first, so in order, type these commands:

su
grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

Then to search for RSA in the wimax.img, you need to replace wimax.img with whatever you named the file. So, using your example, do these steps (assuming the img file is on the top level of your sdcard)

su (might not be necessary, but what the heck)
cd /sdcard
grep RSA Myn5cleanwimax.HT05GHL00534.img

lol I'm glad you told me that. I reallty thought that procedure would scan all the cards at the same time.questions

what do you mean top level? I dragged them to the root on a pc (usb). Once they're on there I guess they just fall in place ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones